Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fragmentation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

My computer frequently gets fragmented.. is there any way to stop this? It's becoming a hassle to keep defragmenting my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:52 PM

It's not a great concern for anyone who doesnt mind getting 99% out of their PC performance. Fragmenting is regular, and happens more when you move really big files. My disk was fragmented 50% once, and hardly made a difference in performace. Fuhgeddaboutit.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

Alright, I guess I'll fuhgeddaboutit!

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:58 PM

Most would recommend that you defrag your drive monthly in order to keep your machine running smoothly. Running a defrag is something that most people over look when it comes to maintenance, but you can start the defrag and then go to bed-when you wake up it'll be done. Sometimes you have to run it more than once, so check the results. All the files should be close to eachother (represented in a color chart). Running defrag in safe mode is a good idea too!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Fragmentation is a complicated subject and we simply can't recommend a specific number because the use of each system is so different. I see a lot of different computers at work - and we run a fragmentation report on them when we first bring them in. In general, the greater the fragmentation, the slower the system.

But, if the files that are fragmented are files that you don't use - then you won't notice the difference as much as you would if it was the operating system files that are fragmented. Also, your usage will determine how quickly the system becomes fragmented - if you add/remove stuff as often as I do, then you'll get a lot more fragmentation than the average user.

I usually recommend that you defrag anytime the % gets over 10. I usually see slowdown issues when the fragmentation exceeds 25% - although that does vary according to the use of the system. Although I hate to disagree with another member, I'd suspect that 50% fragmentation will result in serious slowdowns in the average system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

I thought the OS and system files were the files under Defrag marked as green "Unmovable"?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

The green unmovable files are a combination of system files that are in use (or flat out unmovable using defrag), or virtual memory (swap file I think?) and sometimes the files for hibernation if it's enabled (common on laptops). Some would say it's a good idea to get a 3rd party utility to defrag these files, others would say it's a waste of time. I've never noticed a difference between defragging them and not defragging them! Sometimes better results are achieved when running defrag in safe mode. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Well I'll tell you although there was not much of a difference instantly, after doing 1)Defragging 2)Uninstalling LimeWire and Azureus Vuze, I noticed a 25% boost in performance. Hoo-ah
EDIT Hey guys since I already did my post I figured I could say something else. Some of you never check the General Chat forum and I wanted to bring you something from one of my posts there where I used Google Translation Tools to translate a sentence in and out of 15-20 different languages. My original sentence: When Astronauts Went Into Space, by George Bush
The outcome: It is a case that enters, astronaut of the shrubs in I

Edited by Ryan 3000, 14 June 2007 - 08:18 PM.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

If your 2 file sharing programs were set to share automatically (I believe they are set like that default) so that others can "probe" your computer to see if they want to download something, that will slow things down.

Oh, and it's also a good idea to uninstall programs and then run defrag. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:45 AM

As Steve states, it's better to delete/remove programs and then defrag - that way the deleted programs don't take up space that can be used for other purposes (like defragmenting).

Fragmentation is a part of life with computers - there's no way to avoid it. You can run the disk defragmenter program using Task Scheduler and then it's a "fire and forget" solution - it runs in the background and does it for you automatically (but does take up system resources).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:27 PM

Computers like things orderly. Defragging puts things in order, thats good. It's not hard to do. With Windows it takes a long time, you can sleep on it. A good after market will do 300 gigs in about the time it takes to drink a couple cups of coffee. Either way defragging helps and doesn't hurt IMO.

#12 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:37 AM

Anyone else here like diskeeper? IMO, it's a great program. Defrag my drives continuously every night, makes a BIG difference.

Edited by T, 18 June 2007 - 09:37 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:07 PM

I use Diskeeper 10 pro and love it.

#14 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:56 AM

I use Ashampoo Magical Defrag. It potters along in the background and my harddrives are always completely unfragmented.

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

Diskeeper beta tester here. great program. I use the set it and forget it feature, and never worry again.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users