Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home To Windows Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 morrisonicus

morrisonicus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

Greetings,

I have a slight probelm. I have a copy of an oem Windows XP Home Edition on a computer that I am not able to activate. So, I bought a copy of Windows XP Professional that I want to install. I guess my main question is; how do I do this? Do I have to uninstall WinXP Home first and then install Pro, or can I install Pro over the Home? I would surely appreciate any and all responses.

Best regards,
morrisonicus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hi, personaly I prefer to start fresh when installing and operatings system so that means format. But b4 you start do you have a system disk that came with your PC? e.g. sound, motherboard ect drivers? If not you may need to find out what type of motherboard you have so you can down load the drivers first.
MCP
MSDST

#3 morrisonicus

morrisonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for your response. I actually have the Del oem XP Home installed on my iMac (through boot camp). I have the drivers that boot camp had me burn to a cd before I installed. I think I am just going to unistall boot camp and start all over again; unless of course there is some way to avoid that.

morrisonicus

#4 Talon32

Talon32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:40 PM

I did this for a friend not to long ago, it is best to start fresh. The transfer wizard in XP makes moving everything a snap.
Good Luck...

#5 morrisonicus

morrisonicus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:39 PM

Thank you. I am going to start everyhting form scratch. Thank you for all the responses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users