Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton System Works

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phil7

phil7

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

Hi, Groovicus was helping me with another problem and he kept mentioning that he thought Norton System Works could be the culprit of my computer not powering off after shutdown. I uninstalled it and still have the problem. But my question is this - Is Norton a good program to use as an all-around system maintenance suite (Disk, Registry, Windows), or can someone recommend another, free or not. I was not using the AV but MacAfee and AVG7 (which I was told was a No-No).
Thanks.
Iíve learned two things in life: One, there is a God; Two, Iím not Him!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:06 PM

Iola System Mechanic Pro 5
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:25 PM

Is Norton a good program to use as an all-around system maintenance suite.

No.. Norton used to be good for Mac but even that changed.. I had Super Utilities with System Works on it, and I never had more viruses that slipped trough than with Norton.
When I purchased Kaspersky Pro, and wanted to load one of programs from CD I burned under Norton protection, it was a hit right away.. On that CD I had 4 virus infected files and some other malware..
About One Button check, well I wasn't really impressed.. System Mechanic Pro that Phawgg mentioned is real good I'm using that one too.. Before that I had Registry Clean Expert witch was pretty good as well.
You can try RegCleaner this one is free and real good
I wouldn't know any other scanners, but from what I've heard, Antidode Super Lite and Anti-vir are quite good (and free) .. My son have NOD32 on his machine and that seem to be good scanner as well.
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:10 AM

norton is AWFUL...i wrote a letter here earlier explaining my trouble w/norton..but in brief...i had a horrid virus..went to symantec to ask how to remove it..and they wanted to charge me to remove a virus i had paid them to keep out.

the only good thing: looking for a solution brought me here, to bc.com!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users