How to remove System Live Protect (Removal Instructions)
System Live Protect Image
Tools Needed for this fix:
- SmitFraudFix (Automated Fix)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LiveProtect] "C:\Program Files\LiveProtect\LiveProtect.exe" -h
Add/Remove Programs control panel entry:
System Live Protect 5.9
6/14/07 - Initial guide creation
System Live Protect Removal Instructions:
- Print out these instructions as we will need to close every window that
is open later in the fix.
- Download SmitfraudFix.exe from here and save it to your desktop:
Confirm that the file SmitfraudFix.exe now resides on your desktop, but do not double-click on the icon as of yet. We will use it in later steps. The icon will look like the one below:
- Next, please reboot your computer into Safe
Mode by doing the following:
- Restart your computer
- After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the
Windows icon appears, press F8.
- Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
- Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
- When you are at the logon prompt, log in as the same user which you
had done the previous steps.
- Restart your computer
- When your computer has started in safe mode and you see the desktop.
- Now, double-click on the SmitFraudfix icon that should be residing on your
desktop.The icon will look like the one below:
- When the tool first starts you will see a credits screen. Simply press
any key on your keyboard to get to the next screen.
- You will now see a menu as shown in the image below. Press the number 2
on your keyboard and the press the enter key to choose the
option Clean (safe mode recommended).
- The program will start cleaning your computer and go through a series of
cleanup processes. When it is done, it will automatically start the Disk Cleanup
program as shown by the image below.
This program will remove all Temp, Temporary Internet Files, and other files that may be leftover files from this infection. This process can take up to a few hours depending on your computer, so please be patient. When it is complete, it will close automatically and you will should continue with step 11.
- When Disk Cleanup is finished, you will be presented with an option asking
Do you want to clean the registry ? (y/n). At this
screen you should press the Y button on your keyboard and
then press the enter key.
- When this last routine is finished, you will be presented with a red screen
stating Computer will reboot now. Close all applications.
You should now press the spacebar on your computer. A counter will appear
stating that the computer will reboot in 15 seconds. Do not cancel this countdown
and allow your computer to reboot.
- Once the computer has rebooted, you will be presented with a Notepad screen
containing a log of all the files removed from your computer. Examine this
log, and when you are done, close the Notepad screen.
- Next, click
on the Start Menu button.
- Click on the Control Panel option.
- Double-click on the Add or Remove Programs icon.
- Find the entry for System Live Protect 5.9
on it to uninstall the program. Follow the prompts to uninstall the program,
but do not allow it to reboot the computer if it asks.
- When it has completed uninstalling you can close Add or Remove Programs
and your Control Panel.
- Delete the following files and folders (Do
not be concerned if this folder does not exist):
- Close all open Windows.
- Next, we will perform an online scan with Panda to find remnants of this infection: Panda
- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC
- A new window will open...click the Check Now button
- Enter your Country
- Enter your State/Province
- Enter your e-mail address and click send
- Select either Home User or Company
- Click the big Scan Now button
- If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
- It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note:
It may take a few minutes)
- When download is complete, click on Local Disks to
start the scan
- Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button
- When the online scan has been completed, let it remove what it finds, and
then you can close Internet Explorer.
Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log
This is a self-help guide. Use at your own risk.
BleepingComputer.com can not be held responsible for problems that may occur by using this information. If you would like help with any of these fixes, you can post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.
If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum and someone will help you.