Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Or Reformatting Question,

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

Something is messing up my parents computer and instead of trying to really fix it, I was planning on either just reformatting the hard drive or just getting a new hard drive instead. Now, their computer is an older Dell, so I'm already thinking that the hard drive I buy isn't going to fit and will probably have to rest on the floor of the case. My dad has also picked up a copy of XP Pro so that kind of makes reformatting or a new hard drive a better idea as the current hard drive has XP Home on it.

I'm bascially wondering which might be the better idea,

1- Reformatting the current 80gb hard drive and putting the new XP Pro software on it or,

2- Buying a new and much larger hard drive to put the new XP Pro software on it.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a new hard drive with much more space as it'll be much easier to split between the three to four people who use that computer, but I'd really like to know first if a brand new hard drive will fit, even if it can't go where it ought to go and if it'll work. Their computer is an older Dell Dimensions 4550, I was able to fit a BFG 6800gt in there so I'm doubting a new hard drive will be any trouble.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

If the old space has any value to you, keep some unimportant files on there, like your media center database or something, and all your dad's important business stuff can go on the new one.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

I was thinking of reformatting it and trying to use it in my computer where I could use it as a RAID or whatever that is for games, video, and photo editing for college since I could waste 20+ gigs while I'm making a video.

Edited by Wizdabest, 14 June 2007 - 10:32 AM.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

Okay, I was able to dig up the old parts list for the computer. I found that the Hard drive is an 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200 RPM). Should that be any cause for concern?

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:20 AM

I don't see why it should be cause for concern. If it plugs into your PC, and it works, don't worry about connectors and speeds. You don't need a RAID setup for multiple hard drives, either. They work just like CD Drives, you get as many as can fit.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users