Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Pull Files Off Of A Non Working Computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

I have an old, non working computer that was basically a HP reconstruct, with the orginal 20 GB hard drive. I believe that the HD still works, it's just everything else is shot.

Anyway, I have a HP 1270N media center edition computer with the slot in front for a Personal Media Drive. I have looked and those are pretty cheap. Is there a way to get an adapter for the old hard drive to plug itno that slot so I can take files off of the old hard drive?

If not, what other ways would you suggest?

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

It might be easier to set up your old hard drive as a slave (by changing the jumper(s) on the back-there should be instructions on the drive itself), and plugging it into the IDE cable that's already in your hard drive. This will allow you to access everything on the drive, so you can copy files from the old drive to the new drive. You can then either remove the drive and use it as a christmas ornament, or leave it installed and reformat it and use it as secondary storage or backup.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

Do you think there is an open slot to put an extra hard drive on the inside of this computer?

Jeremy

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

Depends on the spec's of your motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinf...756&lang=en

The easiest way to find out is to open the case and see if there's any extra spaces (plugs) on the flat ribbon cable that goes to the hard drive or DVD Drive. If not, you can always use the cable for the DVD drive temporarily.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

If you are really squeamish about opening your case, you can get ide to usb converters for cheap, just lay the drive on the case for a little while while you plug it into a usb slot.

Posted Image

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

There's no reason to be afraid to look inside your computer, it's not made of wet sand or anything. Heck, I installed my vid card without a wrist-strap. No pressure though its all up to you.

LOL JUST UNPLUG IT FIRST

Edited by Ryan 3000, 14 June 2007 - 11:22 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

There's no reason to be afraid to look inside your computer, it's not made of wet sand or anything. Heck, I installed my vid card without a wrist-strap. No pressure though its all up to you.

LOL JUST UNPLUG IT FIRST

Actually, unplugging it from the power source (wall outlet) doesn't protect against static shock (static discharge/static grounding). It may actually make it worse, as there's nothing for the frame/components to ground themselves to. Static is likely to come from your shoes on the carpet, your shirt rubbing against your jeans, your socks rubbing again the carpet, not enough moisture in the air, etc. etc., it doesn't just come from within the computer itself, or directly from the power cord being plugged in. Having the power cord plugged in and grounding yourself is a better idea than unplugging the computer from the wall and not grounding yourself.

It's a good idea to always ground yourself when touching anything inside your computers case, even if you just ground yourself by touching the metal frame of your case. One tiny static shock from your finger tip to your motherboard can easily ruin your motherboard. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:36 PM

My concern was not for the static shock, it was for 250 watts coursing thru you. Even when unplugged, you have to press the power button to drain all power from the PC. When the little power LED on your board is not on, it is safe to touch without risk of shock.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#9 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:13 PM

Not all power supplies have the led on the back, so all you have to do is wait 5 seconds and the capacitors discharge. Holding down the power button is to discharge defective capacitors on the mainboard.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

I always unplug from the wall - and I have an 80 gB paperweight on my desk to show me why! :thumbsup: The "touching the case" was a suggestion from another member that I also adopted because it's easier to just touch the case than it is to run out and get an anti-static wrist strap.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

BUT once you have a wristband it is easier to use that :thumbsup: lol I love these emotes.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

Yep, the wristband is best - but the discussions that I had over this led me to believe that I'd have more success asking people to touch the case than I would have asking them to go out and buy a wrist strap.

And, since it's not used all that often, finding it is a real PITA - I'd rather wait until I went to work to get one than trying to find one in my mess! I even left it sitting inside my case - and still lost it!

#13 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

What is a link for one of those cables?

I am desiring to buy one. Do I need a power connector for the hard drive?

Jeremy

#14 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:13 PM

I'm not sure which cable you are talking about, so I'll eliminate all 3 options:
1.You can buy a static wrist strap on NEWEGG
2.You can buy a 6-pin PSU on NEWEGG
3.You can buy a 6-pin cable connector.... here it comes... ON NEWEGG

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:21 PM

What is a link for one of those cables?

I am desiring to buy one. Do I need a power connector for the hard drive?

Jeremy

HERE is a link for a wrist strap from Newegg.com. I always make sure that the part that touches the wrist is constantly touching bare skin (I usually push it up to my forearm) and that the clip part is touching the silver colored metal frame (and usually a screw also). I should think that any local computer store should carry these.

As for the other cables, everything that you need should come with the power supply (if you order a new one).
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users