Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphic Card Help Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 satnam

satnam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

I have installed a graphics card - Asus EAX800.
The installation went smoothly and everthing seems to work fine. However on start up I always get an error message saying - can not find graphics card information.
When I run the utility smart doctor which came on the CD - it also gives the same messge
I have uninstalled and reinstalled and downloaded latest drivers from the web to no effect
any advice?
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

Presuming that you've upgraded from an onboard graphics chip (built into the motherboard) - have you disabled the onboard graphics in the system BIOS?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

So you HAVE tried installing the drivers while the comp is on and then pluggin in the card and vice versa?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:12 PM

How would I disable in BIOS???
I know how to get in to BIOS, What do I look for etc
thanks

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:54 PM

Well that only works for certain PCs, best for custom ones. The PC you buy at Dell has no BIOS option for video cards... so it wouldn't help with a Dell.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

Please realize that this is only speculation until we figure out what kind of system you have and if it has an onboard video card. If it doesn't, then this isn't the solution! :thumbsup:

Please let us know the make and model of your system. If it's a custom build, we'll need the make and model of your motherboard.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi
My system is a Compaq Pressario SR1915N. I addedd 1GB RAM myself which works fine and I have now addedd a used Graphics Card, an ASUS AX300.

I am now wondering if my problem is because the Chipset is Nvidea and I am installing an ATI card - I am a bit of an advanced novice, all self taught, so please be patient with me

any more advice - I have disabled the on board graphics theough bios by selecting the video as PCI-e

thanks people

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

What operating system are you running?and is it supported by the card manufacture? And to answer your question as to if your Nforce chipset would be incompatible with the ATI card No it wouldn't. Credit: Toms Hardware

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:31 PM

I am running windows XP - and yes this is supported.
I do not know what to try next. error message persists.

Would uninstalling, removing the card and starting again be an option? or rolling back windows?
thanks

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

My next step and reccomendation would be to try the card in another computer (presuming that its gently used one not new), and see what results you come up with. If all goes well on the other machine check a different card in your computer and see if its a motherboard problem. I tried searching the forums on ASUS website but found nothing. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:58 AM

I don't have another Pc to try it on. so I may just sell the card on - it works fine - and try a different card. This time I may try an Nvidea card
thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users