Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Peak's New Slim Browser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:41 AM

After the disappointment of Safari, I was not too keen on trying another browser, but a certain ADDICT twisted my arm and I can say that I am totally impressed.

Will take a little getting used to, of course, but this browser is lightning fast and with 3 or 4 addons could be the best browser around.

I would strongly recommend that you have a test drive of this one: http://www.flashpeak.com/

Let us know what you think.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:42 AM

Slim Browser is based on the Internet Explorer engine, which means it's susceptible to all of the security problems, associated with Internet Explorer.

I think, I'll stick with Firefox. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

A very important point. Thanks for that tg1911. A pity as I particularly liked the idea of speaking emails rather than typing them, and there are several other nice features.

Ah well, back to the status quo.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

Darn because it really did sound great, Rowal5555.

I've stopped using FireFox right now - at least temporarily. Not that I've had a problem but CNN and other reputable sources seem to feel it has 'security flaws', yet other reputable sources debate this. Just figured until all the minds can agree, I'd leave it alone for awhile - so back to my trusty old Netscape I go.

But if the new browser stops being as vulnerable as IE, I'll be ever so happy to give it a try - it sounds great!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

Not that I've had a problem but CNN and other reputable sources seem to feel it has 'security flaws', yet other reputable sources debate this.

MaraM

Any browser will eventually have some sort of 'security flaws' as malware writers look for new ways to exploit browsers. It's the response and quick deployment to patch and fix those flaws by the vendor that is key. IE has never responded as quickly as Mozilla has. So the risk using Firefox is extremely low. Additionally the engine in Netscape is nearly identical to Firefox. So you are using a virtual twin.

Mozilla Firefox has been the most successful alternative web browser since the “browser wars” ended. The flagship product of the Mozilla Foundation traces its lineage back to the original Netscape.

Be (Browser) Safe
Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users