Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ad-adaware 2007

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:46 AM

My PC has been going slower since downloading and Installing Ad-Aware 2007. Removed it and the File it left behind and straight away my PC picked up about 30 % in speed. Worth uninstalling to see for yourself if your PC seems slower since installation. Any feedback would be appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 14 June 2007 - 04:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:10 AM

If i am correct,it is still in Beta version so fixes would come soon i hope :thumbsup:
One of my friends also had the same problem and said to wait for the fixes ad if it is not Beta anymore

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

If i am correct,it is still in Beta version so fixes would come soon i hope :thumbsup:
One of my friends also had the same problem and said to wait for the fixes ad if it is not Beta anymore

I Downloaded and Installed Ad-Aware 2007 7.0 only 4 days ago, and this is not in Beta that I am aware of.

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

I had the same problem. I also noted at the end of my one and only deep scan with this prog. that it had used and had refused to give up over 250 Mbs of RAM.
Much too resource hungry for what it does.

It is being offered now as a final version, having gone through months of beta testing, with beta versions being updated on a weekly basis. If this is the final version, I do not want it.
I intend to use Ad-Aware SE until it ceases to get support/updates and then will rely on other progs to do the job, as I have uninstalled Ad-Aware 2007 and do not intend to put it back in.

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:15 AM

What is wrong with the older version?

I am using 2007 however, on my desktop and have noticed no slowdowns.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

I went looking just now to see if other users experienced the same slow down as myself and found these posts in Tech Support Guy very interesting. Post 6 and onwards.To say it doesn't slow your system down is a little over the top.IMHO.
Glad I uninstalled it,and have no intention of reinstalling it.

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-softwa...are-2007-a.html

Edited by DSTM, 14 June 2007 - 08:26 AM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

I've used Ad Aware in the past but based on the feedback I've seen here and elsewhere, I'm not interested in this new edition. Among other things, it seems to be an unnecessary resource hog. I'm using SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, Defender & AVG Anti Spyware and I will probably add Super Anti Spyware or something else. I haven't decided yet. Like SpyBot, Ad Aware is a once good program that seems to have been surpassed by other services. And it seems like some of Lavasoft's tinkering is not necessary or useful to the average user.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:48 AM

I've downloaded Ad Aware 2007 and use for on-demand scans only.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

DSTM, must have been ever so frustrating to find it slowed down your computer that much - eep! (Really hope that version was free as well!).

In reality, over the past few months I've used my Ad-Aware SE less and less as it seems to do the same job as Spybot Search and Destroy ... so if they are both essential to keeping our computers safe, guess I'll be in trouble in the future as using a program that is such a glutton isn't something I'd want on my computer either.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

MaraM -

It works just like SE if you only run it "on demand", and doesn't slow your system down otherwise.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Ad-Aware 2007 does use a lot of CPU because of its aawservice.exe.
The Lavasoft Team is aware of the high CPU usage and is working on lightening the usage.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#12 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

If you are using Ad-Aware 2007 Free, you can change StartUp Type of "aawservice.exe" from automatic to manual.

1/
Go on Start > Control Panel > Admin Tools.
2/
Double click "Service".
3/
Right click "Ad-Aware 2007 Service" in right pane and then chose "Property".
4/
Select "manual" in the "StartUp Type".

When you run Ad-Aware 2007 Free, "aawservice.exe" will be started. And "aawservice.exe" will be running even if you shut down Ad-Aware 2007 Free. However, you can also stop "aawservice.exe".

Edited by HIPPO1023, 15 June 2007 - 07:05 AM.

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Here are my results: peak 50% cpu usage, 91 mB ram
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#14 ItWouldRuin

ItWouldRuin

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

I wanted to try this and downloaded, but during the installation, it canceled. :thumbsup:
However, I think this is a very good program, I mean you can't stick to 2006, because it won't hold against the new viruses that will arrive later in autumn.

#15 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

Been using the program for a couple weeks, scanned a few times...minimal slow down. Tried it on my Dad's old laptop...slowed it down a little bit, but I was still able to use the computer.

If it works, what's the issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users