Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Monitor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 reaver31

reaver31

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:28 AM

Okay I have 3 systems in our house. My wifes seems to be the one with the biggest issues (hmm coincidence? maybe)

Anyway she has auto update enabled on her system. Last night her system auto updated before it shutdown last night. This morning, when she powered up her screen remains off. Its not recieving any video signal from the PC. It remains off from power up, so its not even recieving a signal before the OS is loaded.

I have checked the power. It has some.
I have swapped the cable between the two graphic connectors and the main board connector. No result.
I have swapped cable into my laptop on dual display. Monitor works fine.

Now obviously this could be a gfx card issue, but i doubt it. I suspect the updates have done something they shouldnt have, as the monitor was working fine last night.

Im open to suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:37 AM

Do you have a boot CD? Something like an XP CD, live Linux distro or UBCD? If so, try booting the computer using the CD and see if the monitor gets a signal. If it does then you have a Windows software issue. If not then the gfx card is probably the culprit.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 reaver31

reaver31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:07 AM

Do you have a boot CD? Something like an XP CD, live Linux distro or UBCD? If so, try booting the computer using the CD and see if the monitor gets a signal. If it does then you have a Windows software issue. If not then the gfx card is probably the culprit.

Tried the boot CD. Nothing. Cant even see if its using the boot CD to boot, which I suspect it is.
Swapped the GFX card, and still nothing.

Keep em coming.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:11 AM

What happens if you try to boot into the BIOS?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 reaver31

reaver31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:47 AM

Im not even getting a BIOS screen.

The monitor isnt even displaying the preboot memory check, or usual stuff at initial start up. The monitor remains in standby mode, completely blank, from the moment I push the button for power up until the moment I push to power off.

I cant see anything at all.

What about a disk issue? Because the HDD was screeching a couple days ago?

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:51 AM

Try using a different monitor.

If it still doesn't work, then it's almost certainly a jenky graphics card.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:56 AM

I wouldn't think it was a HDD issue. If the HDD was shot you should still be able to access the BIOS. If you're sure the gfx card and cables are okay then it's pointing towards a motherboard issue. What type of motherboard do you have?

Is the monitor getting no power, or just no signal?

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 reaver31

reaver31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:01 AM

The monitor is fine, it works on my other two systems.

I have tried a different GFX card and still no joy.

The red light indicating drive activity is on a solid red.

#9 reaver31

reaver31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:06 AM

I wouldn't think it was a HDD issue. If the HDD was shot you should still be able to access the BIOS. If you're sure the gfx card and cables are okay then it's pointing towards a motherboard issue. What type of motherboard do you have?

Is the monitor getting no power, or just no signal?

Monitor is just not gettin any signal. But I am still wondering about it working fine last night before the updates, and shutting down and then this morning it not working. Surely would have seen some sign of impending failure?

Right now she (the wife) is using my spare pc, which despite working "doesnt have all her settings on it, its so terrible". So when she breaks that I will have at least narrowed down the cause of the problem! :thumbsup:

#10 LcNessie

LcNessie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

Surely would have seen some sign of impending failure?

That's not always the case. Computers tend to work completely, or not at all. I believe at this point, that it could be anything, from a dead mainboard via a burned out NIC to a severed 'power good' signal wire from the PSU. However, the latter can be worked around by pressing the reset button...

Hm... Does your wife have the knowledge and/or curiosity to change things in the bios? You could try resetting that... (jump a jumper marked 'clear cmos' or similar on the board)

If that doesn't remedy the situation, I think it's time to start stripping it, and one by one replacing the components, until the DIY-status is reactivated... (Do It Yourself :thumbsup: )

Edited by LcNessie, 14 June 2007 - 07:12 AM.

Yours sincerely,

LcNessie

"Oh dear, how sad, nevermind... (SNICKER!)" Battery Sgt. Mjr Taffy "Shut up!" Williams - it ain't half hot, mum

#11 reaver31

reaver31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

She doesnt touch anything, specially not BIOS!! She wouldnt even know where to look!! :thumbsup:

But seriously thanks for all the help.

At this point Im going to put her old hard drive into the new pc, and reload drivers. That will at least give me the yes or no answer about update issues. As for the other pc, Ill rebuild it slowly with some new bits. Im due for a new one anyway, the one Im typing this on is 5 years old and my WoW gaming is starting to suffer. I am beginning to suspect that it is the mainboard. I have followed up all the other suggestions and Im still drawing a blank. (pun intended)

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:23 AM

You've tested the monitor and it's OK.
You've replaced the graphics card, so that appears to solve that issue.

All that's left is the mobo/PSU/CPU. Try disconnecting ALL devices - leaving only the mobo/CPU, graphics card and PSU (No RAM, no Hard Drive, no CD Drive) and see if it'll try to start. If it doesn't cooperate, then reseat one of the RAM sticks and try again. If you've got more than one RAM stick, seat the other one and try it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users