Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spamiam

spamiam

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:50 PM

im working on getting parts to put a new system together. choosing parts is turning out to be more difficult than i expected...

rock solid choices so far:

pny's 8800 gts 640mb
core2duo e6700
SB x-fi xtreme music

i would really like an asus mb but they seem to have so many lga775s and i have no idea which way to go...
saw one i reallly liked but it seems to run pretty hot and may be too large for the antec 900 case i would like to put this all in; maybe thats not a good choice for a case though. i shant be OC'n or anything but...

any of you guys run this GC an CPU combo? what MB would you guys reccomend? I know nothing about lga775.
this will also dictate what kinda memory i buy, of course, but i dont wanna get in the same mess i got into buying rdram years ago...

im posting via a public comp so responses will be intermintant, but i will be following up for sure.

hep may pease!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:47 AM

Um I would post a response to recommend some mobos. . .But for some reason newegg doesn't have it's intel motherboards section up? I even searched, check this out:

Home
Home >
Categories >
Motherboards >
Intel-compatible Motherboards (x)

We have found 0 items that match your search.

Huh.

Well, anyway, if you're going to use the antec 900 (nice case) make sure you get a psu that vents out instead of having a fan on the bottom and a vented back. Also, invest in some cable ties. =D With that case, you're going to want to make sure that you have all your cables down nicely, because the your cables will be going right in the way of those front fans.

Posted Image

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

Well, I think the price:performance with the E6700 is not as good as with the E6600, OC the 6600 by 0.26GHz and you have your E6700 for $50-100 less. I would reccommend a mobo with a 680i SLI northbridge. Those guarantee full 16x (SLI 16x/16x) support versus the older ones that only go up to 8x/8x SLI. The newer the mobo, the more stable an OCer it is, and something like the 680i should make you pretty happy.

And if some case says it supports your mobo's form factor, end of story, install it. It is very unlikely that a mobo and case with the same mobo form factor will not fit each other.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 14 June 2007 - 11:18 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 spamiam

spamiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:39 PM

i appreciate the advice guys (about case as well as MB) it was very helpful in making a decision.

i decided to go with the p5n32-E sli+ after doing further research.

every time i come to this board i get just the help i need with no bs and i really appreciate it. :thumbsup: thankee

btw, maybe you guys know a good psu for this config? I'm pretty sure Ill be using the 900 now... :D

Edited by spamiam, 16 June 2007 - 06:52 PM.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

I would suggest the 700w Coolmax unit that Newegg recomends for that case It is SLi capable, modular, and provides to and rear exhaust. here

Cool case. im impressed.

Posted Image

#6 spamiam

spamiam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:16 PM

700 watter huh? thanks for the suggestion. i cant seem ta find this stuff on me own fer some reason...

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

I can't say enough good about PC Power & Cooling power supplies - the Silencer 750 Quad should do just fine for you (although it's $200 US). I've got the Silencer 610 and it's working great for me!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

I agree with Ryan3000, you're better off with a 680i mobo. I myself, use an eVGA 680i SLi mobo, and it's been very smooth and fast. Make sure you have ample power supply too. The 680i will last you a good long while until the next big breakthrough.

Oh yeah, one more thing. DO NOT INSTALL NTUNE! The damn thing will screw up your BIOS if you go into Standby, forcing you to reinstall everything.

Edited by Venek, 18 June 2007 - 01:19 PM.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users