Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wired Connection To Laptop Doesn't Work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:44 PM

The wired internet connection to one of my friend's laptop won't work, and he can only use the wireless, which gives him problems. He doesn't want to create an account, so I'm going to have to post the information and relay any replies and questions back to him. Here's the info:

My router is a Linksys WRT54GSv4 with DD-WRT Firmware.
My wireless card is a Dell TrueMobile card i got after i got the computer.
My OS is Windows XP Home Edition that came with the Laptop.
The reason I cannot use wired internet is unknown to me. When I plug the Ethernet cord into the router, its port on the front doesn't light up. And when I plugged it into the computer, removed wireless card, and restarted, It didn't notice that it was connected at all.

Edited by madman6510, 13 June 2007 - 11:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well, a tell tale sign of a driver not being installed is the fact that you dont see the link lights. Make sure that you have the proper ethernet drivers. If you go to START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTIONS, do you see a LOCAL AREA NETWORK, that is not your WIRELESS CONNECTION?

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users