Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Compatable Firewall....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BalRocket

BalRocket

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

My Mcafee Subscription ran out from when I bought my new computer, and I needed to find a firewall that was Windows Vista Compatable.........Big Job!!

I was browsing the forum looking for a Vista Compatable Firewall, and I think I found one that is windows Vista Compatable...... "It's PCTools Firewall Plus". At least for the 32-bit version. One of you members pointed this firewall out....THANK YOU... I can't remember who?

My question is this. I read somewhere in some instructions that when you download a new firewall, that while you are downloading it, you should turn OFF any other Firewall during the download. This Kind of bothers Me.......Is this the Proper way to do it? Am I putting myself at any major risk if I do this?

If just scares me to think of going unprotected for any amount of time. If that is the way then so be it!!!

Any suggestions or knowledge anyone would care to share will be appreciated! :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:06 PM

Hello,

Apparently ZoneAlarm will be launching a compatible version for Vista tommorow, (June 14th).

Here is a link discussing it:

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9729126-12.html?tag=head ://http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4...html?tag=head
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:45 AM

With the issues that I've had and read about for Zone Alarm with XP, I'd wait to see how well it does with Vista. Comodo is supposed to be releasing a Vista firewall also. There is also a Vista Firewall Control tool available here that other members have mentioned: http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

DON'T disable your firewall when downloading!!! There is no difference between downloading the setup package for a firewall and any other setup package. Just don't have 2 firewalls running at the same time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

ZoneAlarm Pro is the best commercial firewall on the market and Comodo Firewall is the best Freeware firewall....IMO

I'm glad that ZA is finally coming out with a Vista compatible firewall - my subscription expires in 16 days so this is perfect timing. Note that ZA mistakenly issued a notice on their website on May 31.07 that ZA 7.1 for Vista was available and I posted a link about it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/94253/zonealarm-for-vista-is-here/

This was a mistake on ZA's part and they removed the notice the next day.

If you plan to go with ZA, the great thing about it is that you can use it "out-of-the-box" which means you shouldn't have to alter any settings. Make sure you select "automatic treatment" when you install and if you have a home network, put it in the Trusted Zone so you can share files with other computers in your household. ZA is a little aggressive at first, it will ask you everything. For example, if you do an update to Firefox from 2.0.0.3. and go to 2.0.0.4 and then access it, Zonealarm will tell you that the program has "changed" (from 0.3 to 0.4) and ask you if it can access the internet. Better safe than sorry.

I can't comment on the Comodo firewall but I've read very good things about it.

Happy security huntin' :huh:

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:40 AM

I'm not necessarily endorsing it,

but one Firewall package that works in Vista is PC Tools Free Firewall .

I've been running it on a Vista Premium system and it seems OK.

I believe I mentioned it in another thread, glad to hear it's working for you, BalRocket.

Don't know where that "turn off your firewall while downloading a firewall" advice came from, but it doesn't make sense.

Sometimes, though, you can actually install or run a program from a website, in which case you are both downloading and installing it immediately thereafter. I can see where this could cause a problem if the new program would conflict with an existing one that you would normally disable or uninstall before you install the new program.

Especially in matters regarding your PCs security, I would always recommend you download and save the file, and install it later once you've got your system properly prepared for the install.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 BalRocket

BalRocket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:02 PM

Thanks USASMA , for answering my question on whether to turn off my firewall when downloading another firewall, I didn't think that sounded right!!

I have used Zone Alarm for years when I was running XP, and I Loved it!!!!! But like I said it's not Vista Compatable Yet. Now I know that it will be soon!

Like I said in my post I had Found the PCTools Free Firewall Plus, for the 32-bit version and will probably use it until ZA releases their Vista Package.

Thanks to everyone who posted for all the help...........I love this forum, and the great people in it!!!! :huh:

AND THANKS TO JOHNWHO, for the previous post on another thread to send me looking at the PCTools Free Firewall!!

Edited by BalRocket, 14 June 2007 - 09:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users