Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Corrupt Windows File?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hi all,

My friend did a window updates this morning. Shut down PC and when he turn on, he couldn't boot to normal boot or safe mode.

This is the updates for June 13th 2007 - Window Updates

I try to do a restore system in Recovery Console by doing the following.

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software

Copied from c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp???\snapshot, where ??? refer to the last second restore point number.

However, it doesn't seem to work. I've yet to do a repair. I can't really think of any other workaround, so probably, need some help here.

Cheers,
Nikas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:48 AM

Try running the System File Checker from the recovery console.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Nikas

Nikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:53 AM

sfc /scannow is unable to run from Recovery Console.

See here

Edited by Nikas, 14 June 2007 - 04:55 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:16 AM

It's likely that you didn't "fix" the correct part of the registry when restoring it by using the method that you described above.

There are 4 or 5 registry hives stored there, and IME if you don't copy them all you'll get a 100% failure rate. If you do copy them all you'll get a 50% failure rate (again IME). We attempt this sort of registry repair quite often at work.

Additionally, I've noticed that these points generally refer to the HKLM keys in the registry, so I suspect that they won't fix issues that occur within your user profile (HKCU rather than HKLM).

Finally, you may not have selected an early enough Restore Point - I'd suggest going back to a point where you're sure that the system had absolutely no issues (but the further back you go (IME), the less likely it is that the fix will work)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Nikas

Nikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:35 AM

I also tried this fix actually.

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

One more fix I tried is uninstall the 3 updates that was updated this morning. Still, unable to fix the problem.

I have tried going back another which the system has no problem but also cannot boot.

Finally, I used BartPE to bootup and ask my friend to backup all his files. As he couldn't wait, he's doing a reinstall.

But I would like to continue this discussion to look for more suggestion just in case I meet with such problem again in the future.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:19 PM

I'd have suggested a repair install of XP if the SFC.EXE command didn't fix things - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

It leaves the programs and data intact while repairing the Windows system files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Nikas

Nikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

I guess I've yet to mention that his OS is XP Home and the only disc we had was XP Pro.

Not sure if this affects, I have tried various methods to get the XP Repair to come up but to no avail.

On the other hand, my friend did a re installation of XP Pro. and everything goes smoothly until when he's updating his drivers while having his external harddisk plugged into the laptop. Then after a reboot, the external harddrive could not be used.

I guess yesterday was his 'lucky' day. The harddrive is detected in Disk Management but I see under File System column, no File System is being detected. And if I try to access the harddrive, it just seem to hang. The harddrive volume name and drive letter are changed in "My Computer".

After some tries, I went to command prompt and did a chkdsk /f, although it seem to 'hangs' at first, after awhile, it detects the harddrive and the harddrive is working again without any problem. Something I feel weird is that no errors or anything has been detected but it fixes the problem. Any ideas why is it so?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

Is the external hard drive formatted?

Generally, don't plug anything into the USB/1394 ports until the USB/1394 port drivers have been installed.

#9 Nikas

Nikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:15 PM

Yes, the external drive drive is already formatted and working all the time.

Generally, don't plug anything into the USB/1394 ports until the USB/1394 port drivers have been installed.

Oh yeah, probably this cause the problem? I don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users