Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get To A Website

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

My husband is at it again, something is wrong with his computer. I've been to the HJT folders here many times to fix his computer. Luckily this time it's not a major problem, just really really annoying to him. Here are the details.

He used to visit http://www.celebutopia.net/ daily. Then one day it appeared that the site was down. That was 3 weeks ago, and he still can't get to the site....from HIS computer with either Firefox or IE. He can get to it from my computer just fine (networked through a router with a cable modem), and other people who use the site have told him they aren't having a problem.

He's tried clearing out his cache and cookies. He regularly runs spyware killers and antivirus software, as well as Norton Clean Sweep. He can't think of anything he changed around the time that he stopped being able to access the site. Windows and Firefox are set to automatically update, so there's no telling what might have been updated around that time, but my computer should have exactly the same updates (we both use Firefox and have Windows XP Home), so if it was an update he shouldn't be able to get to the site from my computer either.

We're assuming it's something in his computer, since he can get there from mine. Does anybody have any ideas? It's really pissing him off and if we can't find a solution soon I'm afraid he may do permanent damage to the computer trying to fix it. I've managed to get him to hold off making any changes until someone can at least point us in a direction, but he won't wait for long. He tends to try to fix these things himself and when he does he screws things up even worse. He works from home using the computer, so we can't afford for him to screw it up again.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:07 AM

Update: After browsing through the threads here I found a couple posts from people having a similar problem. It was suggested that they run ipconfig /flushdns, so I asked my husband to try that. He still can't get to the site. When he pings the site from the command prompt it times out. So we are still looking for help.

#3 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

For anyone who offered me advice, please repost as it was lost when the server had to be reset.

Updates:

It turns out my husband didn't quite give me the whole story.....he CAN get to the site, it just isn't working right for him. He goes directly to http://celebutopia.net/forums/index.php and gets a page with no graphics or formatting info, just plain times new roman text, no images, etc, and it loads very slowly. If he clicks on a link on that page, or tries to go directly to the sites front page at http://celebutopia.net, he gets a time out error. This happens only on his computer, and with both Firefox and IE. From my computer, which reaches the internet through the same router and cable modem, the site comes up just fine. It was suggested to me that he try defragging his drive, but he was so frustrated with the computer yesterday that he just didn't want to deal with it yesterday evening.

Edited to add: I have a screenshot of how the page loads on his computer if anyone thinks it would be helpful and someone can tell me how to post it here.

Edited by Judi_e, 14 June 2007 - 06:57 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

A picture would be helpful. Instructions for posting a screenshot can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14738/inserting-an-image-within-a-post/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

Derrrr....I should have thought of that.

I can't get imageshack to load, so I uploaded it to my photobucket. That means it's smaller, but you can get the idea.

And with a little bit of work on my bb code (I'm much more familiar with html) I was even able to get a thumbnail linked!!!

Posted Image

And here is a close up of the bottom left of the page to give you a better look at what he gets:

Posted Image

Of course it doesn't look that blurry to my husband, that's just what paint did to it.

#6 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:04 AM

Doesn't anybody have any idea what might be causing this?

#7 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

Since I'm here investigating other trouble my husband is having, I thought I'd try to bring this thread back up to the top. He still can't get to celebutopia and we don't know why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Judi_e, 09 August 2007 - 08:31 AM.

#8 gwahr

gwahr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

Since I'm here investigating other trouble my husband is having, I thought I'd try to bring this thread back up to the top. He still can't get to celebutopia and we don't know why. Does anyone have any ideas?

I occasionally have the same problem with certain newspaper websites. I have to unplug the cable modem and router for about 60 seconds, replug them in and everything works normally.

#9 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:26 AM

OK, so my husband doesn't tell me anything.....I IM'd him with your advice, qwahr, and apparently this problem "fixed itself a while ago." Probably one of the times that we reset the modem and/or router for other reasons. Thanks tho! My apologies to everyone for bringing this topic back up to the top when the problem has been resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users