Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Controller, File And Print Sharing, Visitors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DPCS

DPCS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

Title: "Domain Controller, File and Print sharing, visitors"

Not much activity on this category, so I hope someone sees this thread and can help! :confused:

I got a call and the client wants me to network 5 laptops, and the occassional visitor (so they can see a specific folder)

I would normally use, Network Magic (great piece of software) as the regular way (using Windows functionality) is a bit clunky and error prone.

The client has a domain controller to which the printer is attached, so how do I go about setting up the things in the title (but just using built-in Windows XP functionality)?

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

I would be happy to assist you.

To use the built in Windows Domain, you need to make sure that all the laptops are running Windows XP Professional. Only professional edition will allow you to connect to a domain through windows. To do this follow these steps.

Right Click My Computer
Select Properties
Select the "Computer Name" tab
Click Network ID wizard
Enter the information (Step by Step)

You need to make sure to setup their usernames in the Active Directory of Users and Computers on the DC

Now for the Visitors, I would recommend creating a Batch file to connect the printer, this way they arent ALWAYS on the domain. Usually setting up a domain on a visitors computer will be too much hassle for them. To create this batch file, open notepad on that computer (or place this file on a flash drive).

This will be using the "Net Use" command. So in notepad, to share a printer you must do the following.

net use \\<SERVER NAME>\<SHARED PRINTER NAME user:administrator <PASSWORD>

So if your server is named server, and the printer is shared as HPLASER, with an admin password of fluffy it will look like this

net use \\server\HPLASER user:administrator fluffy

Same goes with file sharing. Say you want it to create a Map Network Drive, you can put in the batch file

net use <Drive Letter> \\<Server Name>\<Shared folder> user:administrator <password>

IE:

net use p: \\Server\Shared user:administrator fluffy

You can make as many as you would like in the notepad. As long as you save it with the extension .bat.
So when asked to save, type something like Network Visitors.BAT

You can then load this on the visitors computers and it will connect any shared files or printers on the domain, without needing to join the domain. You can place this file in the c:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\start up. This way, any user that logs in will automatically run this script. IF you need any other adivce, or help, just post it here :D

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users