Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Products. Hype Or Fact?.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dg1279

dg1279

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:20 AM

I carry out a daily scan using one or more of the following.Spybot search & Destroy, Superantispyware, Ad-Aware SE Pro, Spyware Blaster and CW Shredder and once a week i scan using AVG Anti-Virus Free Version. I have also read and taken the advice of the Tutorial on this site entitled Demystifying the Registry which i recommend. My question is that after checking my Registry manually and carrying out a search on on items which i did not recognize i found adware, malware and spyware which i manually removed from the Registry. The following is a short list of the items. THKO.COM SPYWAREBLOCK.NET TUPTUO.COM SPECIFICPOP.COM TRACK-STAR.COM V61.COM SFUX.COM SHEAT.COM TARGETNET.COM ROISPY.COM YAHABAGS.COM TRIBALFUSION.COM UTOPIAD.COM and several others. Iwas under the impression that with using my anti-spyware, anti-adware, anti-malware and anti-virus products these items would be removed, deleted or prevented from entering my computer.Is there a Realistic product or products Free or Shareware which will carry out the function or finctions it or they are supposed to?.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:29 AM

Well basically,Did you go manually to the regedit?
Take caution on deleting as you may delete a system file which can result to a damaged PC
Some Anti-Malware programs have the capability to go and check your registry (Actually most)
So you won't have to take the huge risk to go on the regedit
Well,If you have Real-time protection from Anti-Malware products like the paid version of AVG or Trend Micro which(I Highly Recommend) the malware won't be able to modify any changes to your registry in the first place
Btw,My Policy/suggestion for using regedit is always to backup it so incase you deleted a system registry file,you can back it up :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 13 June 2007 - 05:31 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:42 AM

The following is a short list of the items. THKO.COM SPYWAREBLOCK.NET TUPTUO.COM SPECIFICPOP.COM TRACK-STAR.COM V61.COM SFUX.COM SHEAT.COM TARGETNET.COM ROISPY.COM YAHABAGS.COM TRIBALFUSION.COM UTOPIAD.COM and several others.

I'm not an expert, but I notice that you use Spybot and Spywareblaster, both of which have a facility to protect you against certain undesirable websites. As far as I know (please correct me, someone, if I'm wrong) they do this by adding certain items to the registry. All those items that you list look as if they belong in Spybot, or Spywareblaster's, website exclusion list. If that's the case, then by removing them you will have removed some of the protection provided by Spybot or Spywareblaster.

As I say, I'm not an expert - but you might like to check whether Spywareblaster's protection is still fully enabled, for instance, now that you've removed those registry items. And if you re-enable Spywareblaster's protection, do those items reappear in your registry (likewise for Spybot)?

[Extra thought: I see you also have Superantispyware, which can be configured to scan just the registry. Try doing that, and watch what it's scanning as the scan proceeds. At one stage you'll see a mass of entries being scanned, all showing up as something like abcde.com - just like the ones you removed - which I think are the entries put there by Spywareblaster and/or Spybot. Incidentally, if those items you removed were real threats, Superantispyware would have picked them up during a normal scan.]

Edited by Alan D, 14 June 2007 - 03:50 AM.

Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users