Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive does not read CDs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

i have the same uj-811 problem of being able to read dvd's but no longer cd's. There is nothing to roll back to.
Any other ideas?

Although your problem may seem similar to someone else's, it is often easier for you to have your own thread. This will eliminate confusion.

Lets start with a few basic questions:

What kind of computer do you have? Make/model number is what I am looking for, but if it is home built, a motherboard name would be helpful.

What is your Operating System? If you have SP2, I would like to know if it is an upgrade, or it was already on the computer when you purchased it.

Did it work at one time, and now it has stopped working reading CDs? If this is the case, did you install any software that you can remember that was close to the time it stopped working?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kenc

kenc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:24 PM

Lets start with a few basic questions:

What kind of computer do you have? Make/model number is what I am looking for, but if it is home built, a motherboard name would be helpful.

Tshobia Satellite p15-s479 laptop, bought from ebay in October. It has media center xp version 2002 sp1 with a tv tuner. P4 CPY 2.80Ghz 512 MB RAM
lots of security windows updates applied.
reads dvd's and dvd-ram just fine however cd NO LONGER are recognized.

I have tried the Toshiba site for DVD_RAM driver, have removed the dirve physically, have removed all the drivers in safe mode with drive physically removed.

Have talked to Toshiba tech support, it is more than 1 year old so it is out of warenty and requires $35 for them to tell me that they also agree that it no longer functions.

It functioned in November when I was in Ohio at my brothers and read a ppt file of his.

I think that I tried video recording when I got back to Arizona in early December. I had some problems as I had no dvd-ram media I had dvd+rw and dvd+r since my other dvd recorders worked with those media. I bought some dvd-r media and got it to write. I had not tried cd's until this year when I tried to use some Microsoft cd's to update some software and they were not recognized. I wound up putting the cd in another machine and maping the cd drive.

I have been looking for a driver update or other fix for this POS matbleepa uj-811 drive for the last week or so. several others report the problem but as yet i not heard of anybody with a solution
Thanks In Advance
KenC

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

There may be different problems, so I have included several fixes. Please try each one, but restart the computer before going to the next one. Also, post back on the one that worked for you.

It would seem that these DVD drives have dual lasers. One for the DVD and another for the CD. Get an inexpensive CD head cleaner and see if it would help.

Go to www.dougknox.com There's a zip file under 'Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer' in the XP Fixes section.

You may also want to consider looking into the ASPI and possibly getting a firmware update for the drive. An ASPI setup guide can be found at http://www.hazza.dsl.pipex.com/faq.htm#ASPI and new firmwares can be found at http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Do you have Nero installed? If so, there have been reports of this program conflictive with DVD drives. You may want to get a fresh copy of it. Uninstall it, and see if your drive works before re-installing the current version.

I know that you probably do not want to hear this, but it does seem like Toshiba and DVD drives have a negative track record. I would like to think that it is software related, but with the frequency of posts I have found with problems on this combo, it is more then likely a hardware problem. Being that it is not under warrentee anymore, your best alternative may be to get another drive. From what I know about these laptops, an external CD drive would be your best bet, and the expense is probably less then what you would spend for the repair at a service station.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 kenc

kenc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:41 PM

It would seem that these DVD drives have dual lasers. One for the DVD and another for the CD. Get an inexpensive CD head cleaner and see if it would help.

Go to www.dougknox.com There's a zip file under 'Restore CD/DVD Drives to Explorer' in the XP Fixes section.

It looks like only one lense. I got a new cleaner cd the other day.

I got ther dougknox zip file and installed it.. not the fix for me

A USB cd probably the cheapest solution.

I would still bet on M$ SOFTWARE PLUG AND PRAY conflict ERROR but I AM PRED_U_JUST!!!!!!!

I know I will NEVER buy another Toshiba product in mt life!

I'll keep trying to find the problem and would be real interseted if anyone fixes it for them selves, even if they replace the drive!

Thanks In Advance
KenC

#5 kenc

kenc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

removed drive, rebooted in safe mode, removed all matbleepa registry entries, rebooted in normal mode, shutdown, reinstalled drive, booted in normal mode. it found new dvd-ram drive and installed drivers.
STILL would NOT read CD's

Got out Toshiba recovery dvd, reinstalled all drad&drop, dvd drivers, M$ fixes for dvd, rebooted.. STILL will NOT read CD's

Went to WallMart and bought USB DVD+R DVD+RW drive for $80

Now I can go back to installing the M$ development tools I need for work from the original cd that by the way were working just fine in November before the warranty expired

By the way-- the dvd-ram will read both dvd+r and dvd+rw just not write them

if anybody finds a flash update for the drive I would appreciate the location
Thanks In Advance
kenc

#6 ChinaCat

ChinaCat

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:40 AM

Hi Ken!
I recently had a similar problem and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find help so here goes...

From what I understand the CDs and DVDs use different lasers (dont know if this is true, I read it somewhere) so even though one may be functional, the other may not.

Easiest fix is using a disc-type cleaner. I did, however, read that these will damage the laser head over time.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me so I had to physically take the drive out of the comp. open it up (voiding my warranty, of course) and cleaning the laser thing with alcohol (the high-grade kind but I think rubbing alcohol would work too) and a qtip.

Make sure you are VERY gentle! Do NOT apply more pressure than just the feeling that you are in contact with the lens! Otherwise you can damage the lens surface.
After cleaning it, dry it immediately with a new cotton tip or the other cotton edge.

That worked for me and hope this helps you too! Little cheaper than a new drive...

ChinaCat
newbie without a cool avatar or siggy

#7 jimwormmaster

jimwormmaster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:39 PM

My problem is even worse, mine won't read a thing, not DVD's, not game CD's, not audio CD's, anything! I really hope I don't have to buy a new drive, those must cost a fortune.

Hi Ken!
I recently had a similar problem and it was IMPOSSIBLE to find help so here goes...

From what I understand the CDs and DVDs use different lasers (dont know if this is true, I read it somewhere) so even though one may be functional, the other may not.

Easiest fix is using a disc-type cleaner. I did, however, read that these will damage the laser head over time.

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me so I had to physically take the drive out of the comp. open it up (voiding my warranty, of course) and cleaning the laser thing with alcohol (the high-grade kind but I think rubbing alcohol would work too) and a qtip.

Make sure you are VERY gentle! Do NOT apply more pressure than just the feeling that you are in contact with the lens! Otherwise you can damage the lens surface.
After cleaning it, dry it immediately with a new cotton tip or the other cotton edge.

That worked for me and hope this helps you too! Little cheaper than a new drive...

ChinaCat
newbie without a cool avatar or siggy

#8 donzo44

donzo44

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:16 AM

My problem is even worse, mine won't read a thing, not DVD's, not game CD's, not audio CD's, anything! I really hope I don't have to buy a new drive, those must cost a fortune.

Hi

Save yourself time and hassle and buy a new drive. They are NOT expensive.

Regards

Bryan
Dual Opteron 250's, 1.6TB, youngest son still at home, large electricity bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users