Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Won't Power Up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy James

Jeremy James

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

This computer is probably close to 2 years old, and is a very good desktop. Anyway, today, I was on it, and we had a power outage. When the power came on, my wife told me it woudln't come on. Everything else would. I plugged it into different plugs, even changed the power cord(I know those don't go bad, but I had to check everything.) There is a green light underneath the power plug spot, adn it blinks a fast green. When I unplug it, for a short while, it will continue to blink, and then quit blinking. As soon as I plug it in, it start blinking rapidly.

It did this once before, if I remember right, and I waited until the light quit blinking, and plugged it back in, and it came on.

What do you guys think it is?

Jeremy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

Sounds very much like a dodgey power supply. Usually when they come with an LED indicator they're supposed to be a steady light, not a blinking or flickering light. Could very well be that a power surge took it out.

It isn't difficult to replace, but if you're not comfortable with that it's an easy job for a computer shop. With luck it's only the supply that's faulty and didn't damage the system board, swapping the supply will tell you that pretty quickly.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

how expensive are power supplies?

Jeremy

#4 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

In addition, is labor usually expensive to replace them? I may could do it myself, if there is a good walkthru.

Jeremy

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:42 PM

A decent PSU will range from $50-100, depending on the wattage.
Likewise the labor will depend on where you take it, I would guess around $20-30.
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:27 AM

Generally, there are 4 screws that hold a power supply in place - removing them is easy. You may want to use an inexpensive multimeter to test the power output before buying a new PSU.

Open up the case and trace the wires from the PSU - see the size and where each one attaches. When purchasing a power supply, make sure you get all the connectors that you need. In most instances this isn't an issue - but occasionally a missing connector will rear it's ugly head (necessitating a trip to Radio Shack for an adapter).

Here's how I do it:
1) Unscrew the old PSU and remove it from the case (leave the wires connected).
2) Put the new PSU in and screw it down.
3) Disconnect one plug from the motherboard and replace it with the identical plug from the new PSU.
4) Do this for each connection - just pull gently on the old power supply to find the connections.
5) When the old PSU comes away without any more connections you've finished!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Jeremy James

Jeremy James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

It was the power supply. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users