Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

I just bought a WD My Book & I am wondering if there is any reason, or is it necessary, to format it to NTFS? I read articles on their support page, but I would like some user recommendations as well. I plan on imaging then doing incremental backups & I may also buy/add a Macintosh to my setup at a later date.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

The info on their site says plug it in and turn it on and it's ready to use.

I don't know what format it comes in, but it does come with a manual that should help. FAT32 can be a problem because of the size of the drive.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:21 AM

My My Book (Essential Edition) came in FAT32 and remains that way. Recently, while posting on another thread I found out that it's recommended to format to NTFS deep down inside the directions (but I don't read the directions - so I didn't notice it).

The only issues are security and the FAT32 file size limit.
1) Security - I don't keep anything on it that's worth stealing! :thumbsup:
2) FAT32 file size limit (~4 gB) - the only large files that I store on it are Acronis True Image images - and they're automatically split by the program, so I don't worry about it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:12 PM

Would it be a good idea to use NAS backup for home compuitng or would setting it up be more trouble than it's worth? I have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Broadband Router.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

NAS is a great idea for sharing files and backups (I've been beta testing the Windows Home Server which does this). If you're able to do it wirelessly, you can set the server up in an out of the way area and just use it as needed.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:33 PM

OK. I'll look into it. Thanks for all the info.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 14 June 2007 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users