Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Amero Case, Antispyware Group Sees More Fights Ahead

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Amero is still facing charges, but last week a judge set aside the guilty verdict, paving the way for a new trial, and keeping Amero out of jail for the time being.
Now, some of those involved in Amero's case want to help others who may be in a similar position. On Saturday, they started a new project, called The Julie Group, to help others who may be falsely accused of crimes because of spyware.

"We've noticed that this is a general problem," said Sunbelt Software Inc. CEO Alex Eckelberry, a member of the project who was an early campaigner in the Julie Amero case. "There are other people who have run into similar situations."
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/0612...case-group.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

Here is a little update regarding this case. It looks like the case is finally closed!

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:31 AM

yano was faster :thumbsup:. Here is what SCMagazine wrote.

Here is the post by Alex Eckelbery and this.

Edited by Yourhighness, 25 November 2008 - 08:36 AM.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

This case reminds me of the Duke lacrosse players' fiasco. From that a new word was coined that I think applies here. She was "Nifonged".

I also think if she was in good health and was financially able to, she could of called the prosecutor's bluff gone to trial and WON. I don't know any specifics of her health problems, but we all know that stress can bring on many maladies.

QUOTE:
Confronted with evidence compiled by forensic computer experts, Strackbein ordered a new trial, saying the conviction was based on "erroneous" and "false information."

But since that dramatic reversal, local officials, police and state prosecutors were unwilling to admit that a mistake may have been made -- even after computer experts from around the country demonstrated that Amero's computer had been infected by "spyware."
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users