Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Vs. Pc Cost Analysis: Everybody Knows Pcs Are Cheaper Than Macs, Right? Wrong!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:54 PM

June 08, 2007 (Computerworld) -- People have been arguing online about how much more expensive Macs are than PCs -- or not -- for more than a decade (and in print for years before that). These discussions usually involve some hard facts but also some persistent myths. As a longtime Windows guy who has recently migrated to the Mac, I think I'm in a pretty good position to try and sort out reality from fiction. Let's take a look at what you can really get for your money these days.
http://computerworld.com/action/article.do...mp;pageNumber=1

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

From the article -

People have been arguing online about how much more expensive Macs are than PCs -- or not -- for more than a decade (and in print for years before that).

Actually, that discussion goes back to the early 80's when people argued the various merits of the IBM PC (and Jr.) and the original Apple and Apple II computers. I believe that over this time, one could always build a PC that cost more than an Apple/Mac or Lisa (Ah, yes, Lisa, I remember her well), however, most of the time the PCs were less expensive.

It's only been recently that the Apple systems are closely price competitive with PCs, and then mostly only with the higher end brand name systems. I wonder how many of us on this board feel that either the Dell systems or the Sony's are price competitive with the other PCs in the industry, yet they are primarily what the author of the article uses for his comparisons.

As a longtime Windows guy who has recently migrated to the Mac, I think I'm in a pretty good position to try and sort out reality from fiction.

You might be, in my opinion, if you didn't try so hard to do the exact opposite.

Edited by JohnWho, 12 June 2007 - 04:05 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

I recently priced a Mac Pro "system" (I may have went overboard / got carried away..... just a little....) $14,087.95

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

Well,

yeah - when you add the lighted mouse and keyboard it quickly adds up!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 03 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

i think macs are more expensive then pc's because they actually are made to last longer im actually thinking about moving to a mac vista was the last straw with all those problems and incompatibilities with software and hardware :thumbsup:

#6 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:39 PM

I no longer see a real need for a Mac since I started using Linux , but if I was to get a Mac and short of winning a lottery :flowers: I would get a Mac-Mini as it would do everything I need, I only care about access to "teh interwebs" and e-mail
# 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 1GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
# 80GB Serial ATA drive
# Combo Drive
all for $599.00 :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#7 Guest_danbrownlow_*

Guest_danbrownlow_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:44 PM

You get what you pay for to be honest. If you buy a high spec PC, you could well spend the same as a iMac, or any other Mac. The only difference is that you can buy a cheap PC for about 120 lol. It's all relative =] IMO anyway. =]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users