Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Processes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 YellowAmigo

YellowAmigo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:46 AM

I have a small question. I periodically check Windows task manager to see what and how many processes are running. Lately I have noticed that I have 5 copies of the process SVCHOST.EXE running at the same time. Is this something I should be worried about or is it common to have this happen? If it is a problem, what should I do about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:13 AM

Having multiple SVCHOST instances open and running concurrently is normal for Windows and should in itself not be a matter of concern.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

Yes, it is perfectly normal to have a few svchost.exe running at one time.

svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

However, they can also be a malware. And svchost.exe are resides in %System% directory and should not be any other place.

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

The thing is, certain executable files (like SVCHOST.EXE, which should appear several times in the process list) start up multiple services. Also, in most cases the name of the executable file in the process list is not representative of the service(s) it starts.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1759&page=5

#5 YellowAmigo

YellowAmigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, I wasn't too worried, but just was wondering if I should be...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users