Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eluzion

Eluzion

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hey guys,

Lately I've been having numerous problems with my computer. For example, not being able to run certain programs, or even listen to certain songs. I turned on my computer today, and it wanted me to clean up my disk space because I only have 25 MB left!

I cleaned it up, but it really did nothing. My computer only has 128.0 MB of RAM.

Is there anyway I can clean this up?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:25 AM

For example, not being able to run certain programs, or even listen to certain songs.

Did you receive any errors when attempting these actions?

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:19 AM

The only way to "clean" ram is to reboot your computer. You should seriously consider adding additional RAM to your computer, because Windows itself takes a considerable amount of system resources just to run itself; multitasking using multiple applications becomes problematic with 128MB of RAM. Fortunately, RAM is fairly cheap and you can install it yourself if you wish.
Cleaning your hard drive of gunk is always a good idea. You can archive text files and pictures to disk, uninstal applications you never use, and use Windows Disk Cleanup to clean up unneeded "leftovers."
How much total HD space do you have, and how much is now in use?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Eluzion

Eluzion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

My Capacity is 37.2 GB

And my free space is now 409 MB.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:51 PM

40 gig hard drive, 128 megs ram, 1% free space, is a recipe for disaster, windoze gets real confuzed when it's fragmented and can't even accurately measure free space

back up some data onto cd-r's, remove some programs, make sure you have 4 gigs free, then defrag after dumping all
temp files, then set a minimum swap file to at least 256 megs
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:07 PM

Try CCleaner. It does a great job of cleaning out crap.
Thats why its called CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)
www.ccleaner.com
Have it remove all unnecessary files.
Then scan for and fix all issues.

98 only takes about 250 meg. The rest you have used is in programs and data files.
Concur about backing up data, music pics etc & uninstalling unused programs.

If you use a web based email client like Outlook Express, Outlook etc check that too
Lots of old emails can take up an incredible amount of space. Especially if they contain pictures or attachments.
Delete everything in the sent items folder except for the current month and one month back.
Then check the inbox. As a rule, I retain the current month and one month back.
Generally speaking, if you have not looked at the email since then, you are not going to.
You can create folders for stuff that you really want to retain if necessary
Then empy the deleted items folder and compact the email
Tools - options - maintenance - clean up now - compact.

Games might be another issue.
They can easily gobble up 10 gig or more.
Uninstall any games that you do not play anymore

Then run scandisk and defrag
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:28 PM

1. You will need at least 15% of your disk space free to have Windows defragmentation work.
2. Cleaner applications are very powerful. Be completely sure you understand what it is doing, and take the time to review every candidate for deletion. Unless you are somewhat computer-savvy, avoid these applications, especially when tinkering with the Windows Registry, since they can often do a great deal of harm to your computer. ALWAYS BACK UP THE REGISTRY before running CCleaner.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users