Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glitch Installing Puppy - Won't Copy Wakepup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:45 AM

I have a new laptop and I want Puppy on there. I installed using the Universal Installer and the puppy files were copied ok, but then it asked if I'd like to make a bootdisk and I said yes, but it wouldn't work. I went back later and tried to do the Wakepup copy from the menu, but it still wouldn't work. I have a USB floppy drive. The installation instructions I have say that the installer goes on to talk about GRUB, but I didn't get that far because it packed it in at the boot floppy copying part. Any suggestions?
(I've still got my live cd, but the cd drive on the laptop is pathetic. I don't know if it is defective or just not very good or I just don't know how to use it properly, but it is ultra slow and won't open it's door without a lot of sitting there... :thumbsup: I'd rather boot from floppy than that thing, but if I can get GRUB installed and boot from the hard disk, even better.)

TIA :flowers:
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:49 AM

tekchallenged, Don't know if this will be of any help..sounds like you know more
about linux than I do. However, yesterday I downloaded Puppy 2.16 from a mirror
and then installed it on a CD. It did it's thing like clockwork....Then with the CD in,
I got on line, ran through my favorite web sites and bookmarked them all. I then
"re-mastered" that same CD, just following the instructions and when it was finished,
I shut down my computer with Mepis installed to the hard drive, (BIOS changed to take
a look at the CD-rom first when booting)...Put in the puppy CD and by golly it
worked great with all my bookmarks in place etc. I was even able to get on the internet
with just a single click on the Internet icon as all the on line settings are on the disk.
I then tried it on another computer, and other than doing the "connecting to the internet"
thing, it worked just fine....I've since (lated last night) made a copy of that little Pup.
Pleased as punch with it...
Probably didn't answer any of your questions but it's probably to your advantage to
stick with getting Puppy working...

:thumbsup:

Edited by joe883, 12 June 2007 - 10:51 AM.

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

Thanks joe883, my cd works fine, I am just trying to find it a permanent "kennel" on the hard drive so that I don't have to mess around with the cd anymore.
(BTW I know nothing about linux or anything else computer-related... :thumbsup: )
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users