Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Devices And Drivers Questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

I have a new HP nx6325 laptop and have installed Windows 2000. HP has Win2000 drivers for "this and that" on its website and I've sussed out what they are. I have a few questions.... :thumbsup:

I still have a mystery "pci device". Googling has me thinking that this might have something to do with the processor. In XP, there is a device listed for Processors (AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60), but not in Win2000. Everything seems to be working ok, and searching high and low hasn't found any processor driver for this scenario. So, should there be anything else or am I way off base? (There's the video driver and AMD PowerNow) Any ideas about what this mystery device is? (I've got a Belarc advisor list of all of the things on the computer if further info is needed)

The other question is whether it's possible to uninstall devices, leave them uninstalled, but shut them up from announcing that they've been found every time you start up?

TIA
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:12 AM

Unknown Device Identifier (free) will help to identify the device ( http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html )

Here's an article on Microsoft's way to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244601

Generally, XP drivers will also work with 2000.

Finally, you can't uninstall them because Windows will keep trying to detect and install them - instead, DISABLE them and you won't be bothered again.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

Unknown Device Identifier (free) will help to identify the device ( http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html )

Here's an article on Microsoft's way to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244601

Generally, XP drivers will also work with 2000.

Finally, you can't uninstall them because Windows will keep trying to detect and install them - instead, DISABLE them and you won't be bothered again.

Thanks very much. I was having a trawl through last night and found lots of info about all of the "things" in the computer. My problem isn't so much finding out what things are, but understanding what things are (if that makes sense). I don't really understand what is connected to what and what it needs to do its job. But I'm learning, so it is not completely hopeless.

In relation to XP drivers - I found the processor driver (I think :thumbsup:) which was on it (in XP) AND it said it was also for Win2000, but when I tried to run it it said "this is only for XP - cancelling" or words to that effect. There appears to be something which only lets you run it on machines with XP, so even if it would work, you can't try it out.

I did disable it, but it shows up on the "add/remove hardware" icon thingy inviting me to "stop" it. I have no idea why - if it is disabled, why does it think it needs to be stopped? I thought it might be possible to shift it to somewhere it won't be detected and stop all references to it appearing.

Thanks for your reply

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:28 AM

If it's disabled, then there's nothing to stop - I suspect it's something else that's clamoring for your attention. Keep looking through the UD tool to see if you can locate another component that's doing this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

I suspect it's something else that's clamoring for your attention.

No, it identifies itself. AND it doesn't go away if I select "stop". It seems to have some default "on" type setting, even though it's disabled. It's very annoying.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

What happens when you try to stop it?

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

What happens when you try to stop it?

It says it can be safely removed - but the "stop" message stays there and doesn't go away.

I looked up the mystery devices and they are something to do with the card reader "thingy" (which I don't use, so I'm not fussed). Thanks for your help in solving the mystery. :thumbsup:

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:30 PM

Updated drivers for the media card reader are likely to be available at the computer manufacturer's website. Or, you can just disable the device in Device Manager to be rid of the notice.

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

Updated drivers for the media card reader are likely to be available at the computer manufacturer's website. Or, you can just disable the device in Device Manager to be rid of the notice.

Thanks, I'd already disabled them, they aren't the annoying ones - it's that one which says "stop" all the time that irritates me. Interestingly, this disabled device invites me to stop it, but the mouse and gamepad thingy aren't there....

Yes, there are drivers for XP, I don't know if they don't work with W2K or what (I can't remember if I've tried to install them yet), but as I don't even really know what a media card reader is, I'm in no rush to get it working :thumbsup:

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

The other question is whether it's possible to uninstall devices, leave them uninstalled, but shut them up from announcing that they've been found every time you start up?

TIA

When you're in Device Mgr and you click on properties, if you click on the tabs up top, you will see the option to remove
I'm not on a Windows machine at the moment to dbbl check. As far as the unknown device, check this thread:unknown device
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 17 June 2007 - 09:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users