Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr400ram Placement

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:33 AM

Ok i have a DDR400 512MB which i will insert
DDR400 is compatible in my motherboard
But im not sure if it is compatible because i have a another RAM currently placed in my CPU of another type
512MB but i don't know what type is it
So heres what shows in SIW:
Property Value
Memory Summary
Location System board or motherboard
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Error Correction None
Use System memory
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes

Device Locator DIMM0
Bank Locator BANK0
Part Number PartNum0
Serial Number SerNum0
Capacity 512 MBytes
Memory Type Synchronous DDR
Data Width 64 bits
Name AssetTagNum0
Form Factor DIMM
Total Width 64 bits

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

Does anyone know what type of RAM is in my CPU?
i think it could be DDR200

Edited by Commander Gman, 12 June 2007 - 06:33 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:43 PM

Go to crucial.com . They have a memory scanner that is very useful.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

If you know what type of motherboard you have, you (or we) can look it up to get specs and see if the ddr400 will work in it. What you have in it now doesn't really matter if you're going to replace it: it's what you're putting in that matters because you need to know if it'll work (be compatible) with your motherboard. :flowers:

However, if you still want to know what's currently in your computer, then the link that Sterling14 provided should do the trick. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:59 AM

Motherboard is P5PE-VM
even says DDR400 in the back
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P5PE%2DVM
Be back for a reply...

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:01 AM

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/views...=&pagename=
So still can't tell what type of RAM is installed
Can you pls.tell me what type is it and how to compare which is which?
And how to place the RAM? (don't worry,i opened up my PC several times but just don't know where to place it (think its to the other slot next to my currently installed RAM)then i'll sort of have to lock it in place tightly (There are 2 small white locks then i'll have to push it down a bit)
That is,as far as my knowledge of placing RAM
any more info and ideas to enlighten me will be appreciated :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 13 June 2007 - 06:01 AM.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

HERE's a link to a step by step tutorial. I'd read it all before starting into anything! Your ram will automatically be clocked down to the slowest speed of a single stick, so even though you're sticking in DDR400, if your ram that's currently installed is say DDR233, then your 400 will operate at the same clock speed as the 233. To find out what your ram is that's currently installed (specs), you can try a few of the system information programs listed HERE (links to another topic here on BC).

Please let us know if there is anything else! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:59 AM

Yes it will work. The ram you have now is pc3200 which is DDR 400(mhz).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:30 AM

So more or less,i place this stick next to the one beside it?
Don't know much about DIMM's all i know is that there are 3 types of RAM
SDRAM,DDR,DDR200 if i am correct

Edited by Commander Gman, 14 June 2007 - 05:31 AM.

#9 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:06 AM

Ok,i am able to see the DIMM written on a scrap old motherboard that i use for research to learn more about it :thumbsup:
So from shown in the sample What is DIMM 1,DIMM2 & DIMM 3? are they the slot & slot# and isn't it is supposed to be 2 slots?

Edited by Commander Gman, 14 June 2007 - 06:07 AM.

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

Most motherboards will have their dimms labeled. If not, and in your case (if it's not labeled), then you should have a single stick of ram in one of the 3 dimm slots, which will be an outer slot-insert your new ram into the slot next to it (middle slot), and ensure it's seated correctly and locked into place.

Be sure to read everthing in that link that I provided you. It's quite informative. There are pictures if you click on "See Image Enlargement" just below the main body of text. :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 14 June 2007 - 08:38 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

Commander Gman, you are mostly right on your view of ram except that DDR or DDR2 modules can be SDRAM. The types of ram are DDR, DDR2, and SODIMM (laptop) modules.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#12 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:47 AM

Wohoo!! i did it :inlove:
To tell you,this was my first time to replace the RAM by myself
First,after putting the RAM and putting back everything, XP didn't load and it hanged it the XP loading screen so i was shocked
Whent back to the CPU and see if i did anything wrong (Gladly there were only 2 slots :cool: and saw the currently installed RAM says"DDR400 512MB" but can't see any DIMM written in it so after that i even inspected the way where the RAM should be facing and it was the same so covered my PC back again and tried starting up
It worked :flowers:
Although I'm a little bit worried on what may happen on me PC...
I'll just take note it started with some RAM problem :thumbsup:
Thanks to all your help i really appreciate it
If theres any more notes you'd like to add,then be my guess :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users