Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moved Hard Drive With Operating System Into Faster Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 worm2800

worm2800

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:22 PM

I resently install a 160G HDD into another computer(1) I have the Computer(1) has a faster processor and more ram so I thought things would go smothly. The OS on the hard drive is XP Pro it came out of Computer(2) which was running a 500MHZ processor. It seems to me that the hard drive can't find its old home so it doesn't want to go into the new one but I am sure there is a fix if anyone has the answers short of formating I am all ears.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:16 AM

Are there any error messages? Does Windows start at all or does the startup sequence stop before it loads?

PS
You'll likely need to contact Microsoft to activate Windows again. Windows XP uses the hardware configuration to verify that the verified OS hasn't been transferred to another computer (like you have) without being reactivated.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:42 AM

The following article explains what you need to do to get back up and running. The problem is that the operating system's drivers are set for the hardware of the old computer and now it doesn't recognise the hardware in the new computer.

Move Current Hard Drive to a New Windows XP System
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users