Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Tax Dollars At Work.

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:47 PM

This is what we pay taxes for?

Rep. Miller denounces funding of struggling aircraft

U.S. Rep. Brad Miller of Raleigh is calling for an end to years of federal funding to an aerospace company that is trying to develop a military aircraft that takes off and lands vertically.

Miller, a Democrat, is scheduled to appear tonight on ABC's World News Tonight, which plans to air a report on the DP-2 Aircraft. DuPont Aerospace Co., based in San Diego, is developing the aircraft.

Congressional earmarks have provided $63 million over 20 years for the DP-2, which is the brainchild of aerospace engineer Tony duPont. According to a news release issued today by Miller's office, the aircraft has never flown successfully.

Quote taken from this link or source.

This "aircraft" has not left the ground much less the flat bed truck that it spends most of its time on in the twenty years that the Republicans have given this turkey millions with no apparent expectations for a timely or functional result.

Moderator Edit: To edit post and quote source to avoid copyright infringement. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 12 June 2007 - 12:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:43 AM

A little more information on the DP-2:
mystery-plane
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mihangel

mihangel

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:11 AM

Unbelievable,, 63 million over twenty years and it hasn't left the ground :thumbsup: , he must have some friends in high places.

#4 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

Makes one feel confident about giving away their hard-earned money to some faceless institution! :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#5 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

The money spent on that PALES in comparison to the money spent on the war on poverty (using our tax money) which has had less success than this aircraft. Where's the outrage over that?

Vertical taking off and landing is a technology shown to be important to the future of technology.

Edited by jwinathome, 12 June 2007 - 10:52 AM.

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Or the war on drugs for that matter.

My outrage is not directed at the misuse of funds necessarily, but rather the fact that the government thinks they have any 'right' to my money at all. Read the 16th Amendment, it grants no such taxation rights. The Federal Income Tax is illegal, unconstitutional, and enforced by tyranny!
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

Or the war on drugs for that matter.

My outrage is not directed at the misuse of funds necessarily, but rather the fact that the government thinks they have any 'right' to my money at all. Read the 16th Amendment, it grants no such taxation rights. The Federal Income Tax is illegal, unconstitutional, and enforced by tyranny!

You rock!!! I'm with you....

ABOLISH THE INCOME TAX, and ABOLISH SOCIAL SECURITY!! (Seriously!)

#8 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:41 PM

Amen!!

Have you seen the movie, "America: Freedom to Fascism"?

It is an excellent display of how insane the income tax has become. The 1040 violates our 5th Amendment rights, but nobody brings that up.

I would like to know what 'security' I have to look forward to from Social Security?

#9 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Man...social security is the biggest ponzi scheme ever created.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:57 PM

1040 violates our 5th Amendment rights

Umm, how is that exactly?

#11 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:01 PM

1040 violates our 5th Amendment rights

Umm, how is that exactly?

By this...

5th amendment...nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

#12 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

63 million over 20 years? Ha, how about 133 million per plane.

And why did we need another air-superiority fighter? To combat Al Qaeda's air-superiority fighters?? :thumbsup:
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#13 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

Ok, so Social Services, Highways, Clean Water, or Law Enforcement are not equitable compensation? How do you define 'just compensation'? Besides, you can't just pull out one little piece and expect to make your case. Taken in it's entirety, the 5th amendment was written and is still interpreted as a means to prevent government from treating it's citizens in an unjust manner, ie throwing someone in jail without a trial, or forcing them to confess to something they may or may not have done through coercion or torture. That part you clipped out, when taken in context with the rest of the amendment, means that government does not have the right to take my private property as a means of coercion.

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

And why did we need another air-superiority fighter?

We don't - nor do we need a modern Navy or high-tech battlefield equipment or "spy" satellites, etc. especially if we don't want to maintain our way of life - I see no reason to continue with any of that stuff.

As long as there are people in the world who strive to dominate others, we'll always have the choice to succumb.

To combat Al Qaeda's air-superiority fighters??

I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping Al Qaeda from obtaining them. That thought is no laughing matter, in my opinion.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

Ok, so Social Services, Highways, Clean Water, or Law Enforcement are not equitable compensation? How do you define 'just compensation'? Besides, you can't just pull out one little piece and expect to make your case. Taken in it's entirety, the 5th amendment was written and is still interpreted as a means to prevent government from treating it's citizens in an unjust manner, ie throwing someone in jail without a trial, or forcing them to confess to something they may or may not have done through coercion or torture. That part you clipped out, when taken in context with the rest of the amendment, means that government does not have the right to take my private property as a means of coercion.

Well, I didn't say I believe it, but I found what he was talking about.
However, you find where the federal income tax and social security are constitutional, then we can talk. :flowers:

Edited for poor grammar. :thumbsup:

Edited by jwinathome, 12 June 2007 - 06:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users