Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 98, No Clue What My Problem Is

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sroy2

sroy2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:27 PM

Ok, am baffled on this one.

I was setting up the network on an old computer so that I could print from my labtop off of it using the printer its connected to.

I got about 1 page printed when word froze on my computer and the old computer froze all together.

The old computer wouldn't restart so I killed the power in the back. It rebooted into safe mode, I restarted. This is where things really got buggy...

When I restarted it restarted to an old version of win98.

This computer had crashed about a year ago and my dad took it into the shop where they reinstalled win98 on it, stripped it down, put a new memory card in it, changed the virus thing from norton to something else... did the works.

But when it restarted from safe mode it restarted the way it was a year ago with the old desktop, norton, and I got a messload of missing driver messages popping up, missing file messages popping up and all this nonsense...

I restarted, it took a good 20 minutes to restart, and it restarted once again on the old system.

All I want is it to go back to the old, new, win98.
The one that isn't norton, doesn't have missing drivers, and isn't taking 20 minutes to start up...

Does anyone have any ideas? A restart doesn't seem to work and I'm leery about a system restore because I don't want it to restore to the old old system instead of the old new system.

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Windows 98 does not have system restore per se. That was introduced in ME.
Never worked right anyway and viruses love to hide there.

The only thing that 98 backs up on reboot is the registry. Five days back only. No more than that.

How I think this might be possible is if the shop installed Windows into another folder, to wit a parallel installation
That is the only way remotely possible to boot back to an old setup as I see it.

You can confirm this by going into Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer)
Look for a Windows folder. Of course it will be there.
Look for a folder named Windows.000 Windows.001 or the like
If you find that, then you know that is exactly what they have done.

Edited by Eyesee, 12 June 2007 - 07:28 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users