Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Printer Conflicts With Windows Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Diogenes

Diogenes

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:25 PM

Hello, all.

(For my specific questions, please scroll directly to the bottom of this post.)

Recently, I purchased an HP Photosmart C5180 printer. I checked the system requirements, unpacked it, and began installing the printer on my HP Vectra VL400 (which runs Windows XP Pro, SP2.) The installation directed me to turn off the antivirus software, so I disabled the firewall and antivirus software (both from Computer Associates.) Halfway through the installation, the instructions directed me to turn on the printer, connect it to the computer (via USB cable), and click ďOKĒ. When I connected the printer, Windows came up with the following message:

System Shutdown:
The system is now shutting down. Please save all unsaved work and log off. Any unsaved work will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
(Countdown timer, starting at one minute)
The process C:\windows\system32\services.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741819. The system will now shut down.

And then the computer shut down.

I reinstalled the printer, this time postponing the connection of the printer until after all the software had installed. The software installed perfectly. I then connected the printer, and got the same error message, and another system shutdown.

I called HP. They blamed Microsoft. I called my vendor, who had sold me a warranty, just to make sure. They also blamed Microsoft. So I called Microsoft, paid $60, and after two hours, I was told that my problem was that I didnít have USB 2.0, and that I should reprogram the BIOS to fix the problem. I purchased an updated version of my computerís BIOS that, as the update vendor told me, would support USB 2.0. A week later, I flashed the BIOS. Then, hoping that this solved the problem, I connected the printer and started it. Same system message, same shutdown. I tried reinstalling all the software, but still got the same problem.

So I called Microsoft again, and had them re-open my case. This time, they told me to use msconfig to disable most of the services and startup programs. (At least one of these returned an Ďaccess deniedí message and suggested that I log on as administrator. I already was logged on as such.) I tried installing the software, but this time, it quit 5% of the way through the software install (I had postponed connection of the printer) and told me that I had insufficient rights to install (though I was administrator.) I logged on in safe mode and tried it again, but this time the installer quit 3% of the way through the software install because I couldnít start the print spooler in safe mode. So I returned to normal mode, and they had me add my account with full permissions to every key class in the registry. Then, on installing, I didnít even reach the software install because windows installer failed. We changed the settings so that windows installer would start automatically, but this didnít work. Finally, they had me create a new account and give it administrator privileges, and try installing from there. By this time, it was taking approximately seven minutes to restart my computer and do anything. After five and a half hours, I called it a day.

(Translation: by following Microsoftís advice, I seriously f<!>ed up my computer. Thank God for system restore.)

They called back the next day (yesterday.) After a brief problem with the CD drive (a couple corrupt registry keys, probably from the system restore,) they finally addressed the system shutdown dialog. "Dis is a message you usuvally get vhen you have a virus on your system." I explained that the printer installation dialog had instructed me to turn off all anti-virus programs during the install because of what it was about to do (probably create a user account on the computer as part of the install.) ďSo this message is probably an overzealous Windows program stopping the installation. How do I turn off that program?Ē Still, they were convinced that I had a virus on my system. I ran my anti-virus software (which has been updated since I first began seeing the message) and found no viruses on the system. They promised to call back by next Sunday, but I donít quite trust their help anymore. (Theyíre nice people, and I mean no offense by the approximation of the support techís accent, but I havenít gotten anywhere with their help.)

What do I do now?

Can I override NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM and allow the printer to run?

How do I get Windows Installer working again? (It hasnít been able to run since I modified the registry permissions, but I donít see how this alone made it fail.)

Edited by Diogenes, 11 June 2007 - 01:28 PM.

-WR, child of DOS & Windows 3.1
Win98SE, XP Pro, Vista, Red Hat 8.0, Red Hat Enterprise 4.0

"Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

While there might be other reasons for this happening, all the articles I've read so far suggest a virus or worm. You might want to read up and post in the malware forum
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

before you run the install or plug in this printer

start a command prompt, change to C:

type in shutdown -a

plug in the printer

The system is now shutting down. Please save all unsaved work and log off. Any unsaved work will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
(Countdown timer, starting at one minute)

once you see this again

click on the command prompt window and hit the enter key if this solves the shutdown issue, you have virii.

you still should purchase an USB 2.0 card and install it.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

I can't help you with your overall issue, but in regard to the following there is something I can add to this.

"So I called Microsoft again, and had them re-open my case. This time, they told me to use msconfig to disable most of the services and startup programs. (At least one of these returned an Ďaccess deniedí message and suggested that I log on as administrator. I already was logged on as such.)"

I noticed the same message when after I installed a new HP product-a 3-in-1 printer model.
The first time after that install I went to msconfig was the first time I'd seen it. Simply hit Apply after making your changes, then Ok-where you'll see the same message. Click the ok in the message box.
You should then be prompted to restart or exit without restart.

No clue here why an HP printer would make that message pop up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users