Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Goes To Stand By

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:58 AM

It randomly goes into stand by and then I can't get back into Windows. I have to shut it down for it to start working again. I look at the event viewer and I get two errors.

STCAgent: Termination reason code 10 [FAST_USER_SWITCH]
Userenv: Windows cannot query the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

3 guesses:
1) Corrupt video drivers
2) Corrupt user profile
3) Other corruption within Windows

Try updating your video drivers from the chipset manufacturer's website (ATI, nVidia, etc)

Try running the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service (free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en )

Post back and we can move on from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

I used the User Profile Hive Cleanup.
My video card is already up to date.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:59 AM

Even if your video card driver is up to date you should try reinstalling it. The original driver may have become corrupted.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

I've done that as well.
The problem occurs once a week to.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

I'd suggest trying to repair Windows then.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 chlazzaro177

chlazzaro177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

Thats what I thought I'd have to do. I was hoping there was another way around it.
Oh well.

Thanks anyway! :thumbsup:

#8 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:54 AM

First off the STCagent is a SSL VPN client from cicso systems so forget the graphic drivers.

The hive cleanup could be a good idea tho.
Or if you dont use the VPN client just totaly remove it or if you use it set the services in registery to manual startup and not automatic.

Iw seen this kind of behavior befor and its normaly caused by someting that have acccess to the Registry Hive at all time so either VPN client that are active or an indexing service.

Edited by Luser, 11 November 2008 - 05:10 AM.

Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:27 AM

Nice catch Luser!
Maybe disabling the Fast User Switching service? Go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Scroll down to the Fast User Switching entry and right click on it. Select Properties.
In the Startup Type box, select "Disabled" - and click on OK to save the change.
Right click on Fast User Switching again, and this time select "Stop" - and let it stop the service for you.

Then wait to see if it fixed it. :thumbsup:
Good luck!

#10 dave609

dave609

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:17 PM

OK ... I just went to User Accounts ... Change the way users log on or off, and unchecked both boxes (enalbe welcome screen and use fast user switching). Now every time I boot up, I am give a "log on to Windows" dialog.

I am a single user the only other person to use the computer will be the person that steals it from me.

I do not see any need for a logon / password dialog at boot up.

How do I get rid of that ?

Thanks

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Remove the check mark in the box about requiring users to logon - then click OK.
Follow the prompts and then reboot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users