Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 voxmal

voxmal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:44 AM

I've never built a comp from scratch before but I've been around them for a while and have some basic understanding; so I'm not a complete idiot, but I got the essentials for an ideal system. I'll be building it within the next couple of weeks, have a few friends that I can go to but I'd like to do it myself for learning purposes. What I wanna know is what pieces am I missing (other than the obvious hard drive, drives, monitor, keyboard etc) and would there be any compatibility issues? This is what I'm working with:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115002

GIGABYTE GA-N680SLI-DQ6 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128037

XCLIO STABLEPOWER 850W ATX - 24pin
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817189015

Case - pretty big
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811146031

Top it off with a 80gb hd, geforce 8800, 1 or 2gb of ddr2 and I'm guessing I'm gonna need a cooler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:02 AM

My thoughts:
1. I don't really think the price of the E6700 over the E6600 is worth it. Get an E6600, clock it up 0.26Ghz. Especially since that mobo is most likely very stable for OCing.
2. Your mobo will take either SATA 3.0 or IDE hard drives and CD drives, so make sure to get one with those connections.
3. I would reccommend DDR2 667+ speeds on your RAM.
4. I don't think an 8800 demands an 850 watt power supply (but hey its your money) although you will have expandability for SLI, PhysX, and several HDDs with that kind of power.

EDIT 5. I would reccommend a bigger HDD. Game demos alone nowadays are going into the GB range, games will be huge. My reccommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148140 it's a 320GB, have you set for years to come.
6. Just because a case is expensive doesn't mean it's worth the price. For that you could get a Thermaltake Full Tower Armor Series case, which is awesome. For mid towers, I wouldn't go above $150.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 11 June 2007 - 10:06 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 voxmal

voxmal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:19 AM

you the man

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:31 AM

No, you don't need 850W, even with SLI.

You should get HSF with a Retail CPU.

The performance difference between the RAM speeds is minimal, but the price difference isn't big either.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 voxmal

voxmal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

You should get HSF with a Retail CPU.

wouldn't I need to remove the HSF if I wanted to add a water cooler?

Edited by voxmal, 11 June 2007 - 10:41 AM.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

Yes, then you would have to get a separate watercooling setup.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:42 AM

An HSF isn't a water cooler = HeatSink/Fan. If you have the money, get a Zalman 9700 but if you need more of a budget option the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is great too. If you don't want to spend money on that, just keep the stock, but it won't allow much overclocking. Make sure you don't buy an OEM processor if you want the stock fan because you won't get one.

EDIT sorry a misunderstanding of the question. If you want a water cooler, you will need a CPU block. My reccommendation is : http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info....products_id=114 but make sure all your parts have the same tubing ID (inner diameter) or your parts and tubing won't fit.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 11 June 2007 - 10:43 AM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 voxmal

voxmal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

An HSF isn't a water cooler = HeatSink/Fan. If you have the money, get a Zalman 9700 but if you need more of a budget option the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is great too. If you don't want to spend money on that, just keep the stock, but it won't allow much overclocking. Make sure you don't buy an OEM processor if you want the stock fan because you won't get one.

EDIT sorry a misunderstanding of the question. If you want a water cooler, you will need a CPU block. My reccommendation is : http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info....products_id=114 but make sure all your parts have the same tubing ID (inner diameter) or your parts and tubing won't fit.

thats sick, so OC hazards only affect temperature (meaning I can OC like crazy with an outside cooler)? And if I leave my pc on longer that it's turned off during the day would you recommend watercooling?

But I really don't want to complicate things and widen the margin for error especially on my first pc, would I get the power I want without OCing if I don't get a cooler? I'm trying to run WoW/Oblivion/HL2 on full effect and show no strain. I'm also big on multi-tasking with programming/graphic designing and watching/listening to videos&music at the same time

Edited by voxmal, 11 June 2007 - 11:05 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

It's been my experience that overclocking is a great hobby - but by the time you put all the money into it you could've bought a better system to start with. And that better system would last longer than the overclocked one because it isn't overclocked (so the components aren't being over-stressed).

Temperature problems are the primary issue with overclocking, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other problems generated by the increased stress on the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

Awee they covered everything :huh: . .Well good luck on what you choose :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

Does sufficiently cooling an item at overclock levels give it a longer MTBF than if you had it bare-minimum cooled?

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

Stock speeds (manufacture recommended speeds) and good cooling = the longest life
Over clocking and insufficient cooling = dead processor
Over clocking and good cooling = Great speeds shortened life expectancy of processor
Over clocking and extreme cooling = even greater speeds and shortened life expectancy of processor

Processors fail even when running at manufactured specifications, and some overclocked systems run a very long time. IMO if your going to over clock to excess like 125-150 % your first purchase should be the best cooling system you can afford.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users