Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windef Not Necessary With Ie7...?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

I had the opportunity to chat with a local "computer guy" businessman and he indicated that if you are using IE7, WinDef is not necessary.

I'm sure IE7 plugged some holes that IE6 had but it must have some functionality.....or did it lose THAT much of its use with the IE7 "plugs"?

If it did lose much of its punch, what would be a good replacement?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

Assuming that by "WinDef" you mean Windows Defender,

I would disagree.

Windows Defender primarily protects a system from spyware/malware.

IE 7 doesn't specifically do that, although IE7 on a Vista system can run in "protected" mode which adds a layer of security to one's system while using IE7. If your "computer guy businessman" didn't make this distinction at the least, then I would say his advice is questionable.

I believe you'll find that most of the folks here would recommend some software anti-spyware program and since none so far are 100% efficient, they'll most likely recommend multiple programs.

Windows Defender is free, so while it may not be the best solution, it is certainly better than none and clearly acceptable as one of these programs, in my opinion.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

In my limited knowledge, I even suspected as you stated.

Windows Defender is indeed an "program", and as such, would protect many areas. While IE7 might have plugged a gap or three, it can in no way be substituted for an entire protection program.

Perhaps he was delirious or just plain misspoke...but I had to bounce it off a trusted source..

TY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users