Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Hard Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:01 AM

3 day I ago I reformatted/reinstalled Windows XP Home edition on a computer my friend gave me. It has 2 5.99GB hard drives, both same model and everything, but only the with the OS is accessable/showing up.

My computer knows its connected, and windows knows it connected, saying it and my other hard drive are both working properly (it is in the Device Manager and such), but I can't access it. But it's not in "My Computer." Me and my other friend couldn't figure it out. It works fine in this computer (this is my original, the one haveing the problem has no antivirus software yet, so it's not connected to the internet).

The jumpers are set to Master/Slave, they are both on the same IDE, the master is working fine, and is on the end of the IDE, the slave is in the middle of the IDE, and both have their power cords/IDE's correctly in them. It also reads USB flash drives correctly as removeable hard drive like things, and one of my flash drives has a CDFS part to it that also is read correctly.

Edited by thisismydisplayname, 11 June 2007 - 08:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:29 AM

Are both drives formatted with the same file system? (NTFS of FAT)
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:36 AM

Try assigning a letter to the drive. Click Start, right-click My Computer and then click Manage. Under Computer Management, click Disk Management. In the list of drives in the right pane, right-click the drive and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths. Click Change, and in the drop-down box, specify a drive letter for the drive, choosing one that is not assigned to a mapped network drive or any other device.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 thisismydisplayname

thisismydisplayname
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

The second disk is apparently not formatted as anything.

It has no letter, and is not comeing up in the top-right pane of the Disk Management window; only my C: drive comes up.

Screenshot:
Posted Image

Edited by thisismydisplayname, 15 June 2007 - 06:57 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Is the cable FIRMLY plugged into the drive? Yeah, I know what you're thinking-"of course they are".
However, double check to be sure. A simple thing to check, and either it will or it won't solve the issue.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

Try right clicking on the missing drive and selecting "format" (this will destroy everything that's on the disk now) and then assigning it a drive letter.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users