Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg's Residentshield

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:57 AM

Ok i threw away my TrendMicro & equiped AVG Anti-Virus Professional
Since i found out that when installed,if i insert a disk in a drive,my pc would hang (even a USB stick)
So im not very familiar with the Resident Shield and not sure how it works
Trend did a great job when i surf the internet to malware loaded sites
It had shown me a window containing what particular infection did you get and was automatically quarantined in it's vault just before even the malware can react
even if i just click a file that i don't know if it is a virus
But how does AVG do with the Resident Shield? is it also similar? but instead that,no window pops up

Edited by Commander Gman, 11 June 2007 - 04:57 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:06 AM

I have been fortunate enough not to have had much experience with the resident shield. As I remember, though, if you attempt to download an infected file, you will not only be prevented from continuing, but get a warning screen. Enough Members use AVG so that if the RS was not effective, we would surely have seen posts about it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:11 AM

Well thats a little bit similar to Trend Micro though so from what can i say is that if this would be AVG's method of protection,my system would be a little more vulnerable :flowers:
If you can provide me screenshots of the Resident Shield in action,that would be more than enough for me to know how AVG's resident shield works :thumbsup:

Edited by Commander Gman, 12 June 2007 - 02:12 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Here's a screen shot from the Resident Shield from the AVG Security Suite which will give you a general idea:
Posted Image

Here's a screen shot from the older 7.0 AntiVirus version:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

You could also run the Eicar Test to see how AVG responds. If you cannot for some reason download any of the files, copy/paste the code (starts with X5) into Notepad & save the file.

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

Ok thanks for the info :flowers:
Can't tell which real time protection is better but hope that AVG is
since i can't install Trend because for an error prob.
If you hvae any more info regarding AVG Anti-Virus,pls. inform me
any more will be appreciated :thumbsup:

#7 gungebucket

gungebucket

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:40 AM

I've used AVG free version exclusively for 7 years, on all my home PCs, set on automatic update and scanning, and it has always detected and dealt with viruses as they attacked. :thumbsup:
But you will also need AVG Antispy, as the antivirus program dosen't detect, or can't deal with, some types of trojans and stuff like that. It's also available in a free version.
And don't forget a good firewall too. :flowers:
Try Zonealarm, free version.
Hope this helps.

Edited by gungebucket, 31 July 2007 - 03:41 AM.

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 45600+. 300gig H/D. 2 gig DDr RAM. Vista Home fully updated. Firefox. AVG Free. Zonealarm.
Look, I'm quite capable of fouling up my computer without your help. Thank you very much! :-D

#8 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:39 AM

Well aside from revivng the topic,I'd rather discuss this again :thumbsup:
I also use AVG Anti Spyware but I just can't put together Ad-Aware since it would conflict
or I have more than enough (Super Anti-Spyware,AVG Anti Spyware,Spybot S&D)
Also for Zone Alarm,I have heard before numerous reports that Zone Alarm causes several problems once installed even bsods and keeps on hanging (which happened to me)the new version was responsible for this.
So,I had to switch to Comodo Firewall which is similar to Zone Alarm but much has much more options. :flowers:

#9 gungebucket

gungebucket

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:23 AM

I hav AVG antispy from it's early stages when It was called 'ewido' and not officially grisoft product. In fact, I may well have been recommended to use it by someone on Bleepingcomputer, when I had Trojan probs about three years ago.

Hmm.
And I was thinking that my slow system was down me being a bit slack with the defrag, and never reformatting. I've used Zonealarm most of the time, and can't remember an alternative that I tried. All I remember is that I went right back to Zonealarn again. :thumbsup:

I'll have a look at Comodo, and maybe give it a whirl.
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 45600+. 300gig H/D. 2 gig DDr RAM. Vista Home fully updated. Firefox. AVG Free. Zonealarm.
Look, I'm quite capable of fouling up my computer without your help. Thank you very much! :-D

#10 Commander Gman

Commander Gman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

Maybe then you're refering to the old version of Zone Alarm if you haven't gotten back in the site and download it recently

Well if Zone Alarm released a more stable version,I would then like to go back and try it :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users