Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rain2Fall

Rain2Fall

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:24 AM

Win MCE 2005/XP Pro -- I want to boot to Safe Mode. I use F8, choose Safe Mode, and the list or programs starts ... but it FREEZES at <Mup.Sys>.

Please help -- how can I get SAFE MODE to work all the way through?
RAIN
BabyBoomers Rock!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:44 AM

Are you able to boot normally? If so, Click start, run, sfc /scannow. It should popup a small window and the check will be going on. You may need to have Window XP Disc with you.

If you are not able to boot normally, then boot into Recovery Console and do sfc /scannow.

How to access Recovery Console

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:14 AM

Most of these problems have to do with hardware issues or Service Pack 2 - have you recently made any changes to your system?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rain2Fall

Rain2Fall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

I can boot normally. I ran scannow in normal mode -- I got this message:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache."

Does this mean that some of my DLL's are missing or corrupt?

Then I got this message: "Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 now."

I'm running Win MCE 2005. I got Toshiba System Restore discs with the computer, and there is a hidden partition that contains some kind of recovery files. I have the I386 cabs in the Windows directory. I looked and looked -- I cannot find the System Restore discs for the Toshiba. They have to be here somewhere; I found the restore discs for my other two computers. Arrrrrrrrgh.

I tried inserting those Windows XP discs, but of course they didn't work. With one, I got tis message: "insert WXPVOL_EN" So I guess that's the title of the disc I'm looking for.

I had to cancel out of scannow.

In the old days, it used to be possible to extract fresh copies of DLL's from the cabs. Can I do that instead?

Rain

Baby Boomers Rock !

#5 Rain2Fall

Rain2Fall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Army John,

Most of these problems have to do with hardware issues or Service Pack 2 - have you recently made any changes to your system?

This Toshiba laptop came with SP2 already installed. That was a year ago. So I don't think SP2 is a problem.

Hardware changes -- yes, I have made some changes in the last two to three months. I cannot remember the last time I booted into Safe Mode -- every few weeks, probably.

I added an External HD, connected via USB.
I used Partition Magic to make three partitions on the laptop's internal Hard Disk, and two partitions on the external HD.
My mouse died and I plugged in another USB mouse.
I added a USB 7-port hub for the external HD, printer, and scanner.

Rain
Baby Boomers ROCK!
RAIN
BabyBoomers Rock!

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Ah, here we go again. It's InCD that's doing it. You need to download the newest version. Assuming you actually have InCD (comes with Nero), you can download the update here. Just scroll down to Update Package 3.

I suppose I could be wrong, but it's a common problem, and that's often the cause.

#7 Rain2Fall

Rain2Fall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

It's InCD that's doing it ... that's often the cause.

Yes, I recently installed a newer version of Nero. (Nero 6). InCD is for REwriting data to discs, right? I do not want that, and I did not install it. Nero has been burning just fine. Are there any *.DLL's or other files that I should look for and delete? Any registry keys that I should change, so that Nero is happy without InCD?

Rain
Baby Boomers ROCK!
RAIN
BabyBoomers Rock!

#8 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

I have the I386 cabs in the Windows directory.

Located I386 Directory instead of using Windows XP Disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users