Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Confusion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 M1R463

M1R463

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:18 PM

Okay... i feel bad about getting this confused but i need to clarify whether or not the Series of a Processor matters if the Socket type is correct? The reason why i ask is because i have a DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD MB and currently run an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor. And I was wondering that because a different processor i found was of the 939 socket type, though, it's not the Athlon 64 series.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jackfrench89

jackfrench89

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:19 AM

Socket type needs to match, you'll be fine.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

If you get a new CPU you need to make sure your motherboard supports the CPU's bus speed.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 M1R463

M1R463
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

CPU's BUS-speed? Now what exactly is that? or where can i find out about my MB's BUS-speed tolerance?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

From the info you've given I think the specs for your motherboard are given here.

It will support:

Socket 939 for AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core/ Athlon™ 64/ Athlon™ 64 FX processor.
High-performance Hyper Transport CPU interface.
Support transfer rate of 2000/1600/1200/800/400 mega-transfers per second.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 M1R463

M1R463
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

Okay... I know that this kinda went into the whole "help me build my P.C." but it's not, really this is just to clear out some confusion because this is something I pride myself on knowing alot about and of course, I need to know about the ins-and-outs of the devices, I don't want to help my friends into an even bigger investment than they can afford so that's why I need to know. Thank you for being helpful, btw, it's great to know that there is a community of people out there who are so willing to help like this about computers, because let's face it no one person knows it all and if they did, it'd be defunct in about a year, so, again, thanks so much for helping out with answering my questions.

Okay, so check this with this and tell me if there isn't any way that I could possibly keep this MB and get a better processor... if I need a new MB then that's just what I'll have to do. It's cool too cause I'm going to have to (and want to) upgrade sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users