Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete Loss Of Sound

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jak Spade

Jak Spade

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:24 PM

My laptop's inbuilt speaker is not working(headphones won't work either). When I view the volume control, I cannot move it from 0.
Also, I've noticed yellow ? marks against the multimedia items. Can you help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:11 AM

Got the drivers installed?

The yellow marks are 'exclamation marks' aren't they?

Did you by any chance add a language to your laptop through the control panel, or maybe you formatted recently?

------

You could always backup any recent important files that you have updated/created since the problem and use a system restore to a point before the problem occured.
That is unless you formatted.

Edited by sp0nge, 11 June 2007 - 05:16 AM.

#3 Jak Spade

Jak Spade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:03 PM

Yes I have reformatted recently due to my inadvertently erasing some system files. How do I tell if the drivers are installed?

#4 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

Go to Control Panel

Then Click on System

Click on the Hardware Tab

Then Click On Device Manager

Go down to 'Sound, Video and game controllers'

If you have the drivers installed, there should be an option in there called something like Legacy Drivers, or Realtek AC'97.

Seeing as you did format your computer it is most likely that you haven't installed the drivers.

You might want to check other options in the Device Manager to see if you have some of your other drivers installed. The drivers can be downloaded off the internet on various sites, Microsoft. Usually and most likely you will find that your drivers disc's which come with the computers are in their separate cases with your Vista or Windows XP disc.

Hope I could help out a bit - If you need more assistance I'll see what i can do.

~Sp0nge

Edited by sp0nge, 12 June 2007 - 01:44 AM.

#5 Jak Spade

Jak Spade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:48 PM

I looked in the Device Manager and under the sound game and video controllers, there are 5 loud speaker icons including legacy audio drivers. Does this mean they are installed and if so, why does the speaker system not work?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

Time to do some checking.
Start Menu/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices

Audio Tab-make sure your sound device is listed as the default.
Then under sound playback, click Volume.

Play Control will open up, where you will see several panels.
In the Play Control Panel, click on Advanced.

If 1 Digital Output is checked, uncheck it.

If it's unchecked, check it.

If you don't see Advanced in the Play Control Panel, click on Options/Advanced Controls.
Put a checkmark by everything you see listed, then look again.

After you do this, see if you have sound.

#7 Jak Spade

Jak Spade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

I followed your instructions and when I clicked the Audio tab, under Default Device it read "no playback devices" and the volume control is unclickable.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:14 PM

What you describe makes me think the audio drivers are not installed.

Have you checked Windows/Microsoft updates to see if there is an audio driver you need to install?
It would be listed under Hardware Updates.

2 more things for you to check.

1) Device Manager. Is there a listing for Other devices? If so, look there to see if there is anything related to audio and sound.

2) Is your sound enabled in Bios? Reboot your computer, boot into bios, dig around in there to find anything related to audio. (In mine, it's listed under Integrated Peripherals, where I see AC97 Audio.) If you find it, and it's disabled, enable it. Save the change and exit bios.

#9 Jak Spade

Jak Spade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:00 PM

I checked for Microsoft hardware updates but there weren't any. I also looked in the Device Manager and found the following under
"other devices"

Multimedia audio controller

Network Controller

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Video Controller(VGA compatible

All of the above are marked in yellow with an exclamation point.

I went into bios and searched but really don't know what to look for. I couldn't find anything connected with sound/audio. Is there a generic heading under which such items might be listed?

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

There are several different bios systems, so it's impossible to say where to look for the setting on your computer. I'm totally out of ideas at this point-if I think of anything else, I'll post it. And if you get this solved, please let us know how.

Please post what Bios system your computer uses. Maybe someone with the same system can point you in the right direction. If you don't know which one it is, run Belarc Advisor, it will tell you.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Been thinking about Multimedia Audio Controller under Other Devices-which shows things your computer has but drivers are not installed for them. You could try installing the driver for the controller.
Right click on multimedia audio controller. Update driver. Choose No, not this time/Next.

You will be asked whether you want to install automatically or from a specific location. Try automatic. If that doesn't work, you can follow the steps for specific location.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 June 2007 - 07:56 PM.

#11 Jak Spade

Jak Spade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Success :thumbsup: I solved the problem by using the Drivers & Utilities DVD that came with my computer, to re-install the audio driver. Now I am awash with glorious sound!

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

Glad you got it solved. LOL, another case of the easiest, most obvious thing to do.

#13 Sp0nge

Sp0nge

• Members
  • 643 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:10 AM

It WAS drivers afterall.

Goodjob.

Usually and most likely you will find that your drivers disc's which come with the computers are in their separate cases with your Vista or Windows XP disc.

Although I did tell you to try the disc.

hehe

Edited by sp0nge, 21 June 2007 - 05:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users