Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Starts, Screen Stays Blank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 docpoco

docpoco

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

I often fix computers for employees at work, and recently had a real booger. She did not want to pay to fix it so I bought it for cheap.

Its an emachines T3107 (which is very hard to find info on)

Basically, the computer starts and fans turn, but the screen stays blank. I have tried the following.

- Tested the monitor- its fine
- tried a different monitor
- Put in a known working video card (only had onboard before)
- Tested the PSU voltages and everything checked out
- All fans spin
- Tried a different stick of RAM

I hear no beeps during startup.

Computer is less than a year old, and was working perfectly before she brought it to me.

I am about to try and reset CMOS.

Do you guys have any ideas about other stuff to try. I dont mind purchasing a new mobo but I am concerned about compatability.

I appreciate any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

Update

Its not a T3107 its a W3107

and the CMOS reset (both battery removal and jumper ) unsuccesful.

#3 Test36

Test36

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:33 PM

when it turns on does it operate like a regular computer just with no screen without the screen
or
when you turn it wait a minute then press the shutdown button it turns off. as if it never got past the start up stage (the black an white screen where you go to setup an such)

i honestly dont know whats wrong
but i had a old computer like pre 2000 an took the processor for fun an when it started the screen stayed black. so on a wild guess your proccessor may not work.

but wait till someone that knows that there talking about come to say im wrong

Edited by Test36, 10 June 2007 - 12:41 PM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

Try removing everything accept the processor and see if you can get it to post
E-machines are prone to failing motherboards. If you cant get a bios beep out of it its problably dead :thumbsup: .
Here is a replacement from Newegg.

Drawback is this motherboard doesnt offer the PCI-X slot the current board has, but e-machines wants 160.00 for a direct replacement.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:50 PM

Open the case, and check to make sure all of the cables are securely fastened.

Exactly what does it do, when you boot up?
Do you get the POST beep (Single beep,) indicating that the motherboard and processor pass the built in test?
Do all the fans come on, and the drive lights flash?
Does it just sit there , or does it continue like it is loading windows, with drives flashing etc, just no video?

If no lights at all, probably power supply.
If lights flash and fans spin, but no beep and then it just clicks off, or sits there with no drive activity, then probably processor, or maybe motherboard.
If lights flash, fans spin, single beep, and then the hard drive keeps flashing, probably dead video.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:59 PM

Ill try to respond to everyone's posts.

Test36:

The machine turns on, and will turn off again if I hold the power button down.

Skneakycyber:

I have removed everything except the processor and RAM. Should I take out the RAM too? I completely disconnected everything, inspected connectors, tested with a multimeter and tried again. Still nothing.

TG 1911:
I addressed that in my first post, correct? Maybe Im not giving you the right info. I hear no beeps at all. All the fans and lights come on. I used a multimeter and all voltages are correct from the PSU.

The drive bays are all functioning (when connected)

Edited by docpoco, 10 June 2007 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

If there was a processor or ram problem the computer would post and tell you by beeping. Also to make sure the computer can beep at you if there is no internal case or motherboard speaker make sure your speakers are plugged into the audio port. If you still get nothing IMO the board is dead :thumbsup:

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 June 2007 - 01:04 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

If there was a processor or ram problem the computer would post and tell you by beeping. Also to make sure the computer can beep at you if there is no internal case or motherboard speaker make sure your speakers are plugged into the audio port. If you still get nothing IMO the board is dead :thumbsup:

There is a MOBO speaker. Its round and about the size of thimble. I have tried to boot 20-25 times, and not once was there a beep.

So this is how we can be sure that the problem is the MOBO and not the processor? Of course, I understand that there could be a processor issue too that I haven't been able to prove yet.

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Can you find someone willing to let you borrow their proc for a few secs and plug it in to see if its the proc or mobo?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

Ruling out the mobo or processor will involve (as Ryan has suggested) swapping parts. There's no readily available test equipment for processors or motherboards that won't operate.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

There is a MOBO speaker. Its round and about the size of thimble. I have tried to boot 20-25 times, and not once was there a beep.

So this is how we can be sure that the problem is the MOBO and not the processor? Of course, I understand that there could be a processor issue too that I haven't been able to prove yet.

negative. I dont really know anyone where I live that is into computers.

I guess Ill just by the MOBO and see what happens. Can you guys confirm that the one linked to above is the one I need. I have never put together and AMD before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users