Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DAVE460523

DAVE460523

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

I HAVE A DELL 610 PRECISION WORKSTATION WITH DUAL XEON 550 PROCESSORS. THE UNIT RECENTLY SHUT DOWN DUE TO PROCESSOR FAN FALIURE. TYPICALLY THIS SYSTEM REMAINED ON DUE TO DOMAIN CONTROLLER STATUS. PRIOR TO REPLACING THE FAN, IT WOULD SHUT DOWN SOMEWHERE IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF 6 - 7 MINUTES OF OPERATION. THE FAN WAS REPLACED, HOWEVER NOW IT SHUTS DOWN EVEN FASTER THAN PREVIOUSLY, MORE LIKE 2 - 3 MINUTES. MY THOUGHTS ARE THE CPU'S HAVE SUSTAINED DAMAGE. ALSO CONTRIBUTING TO THAT CONCLUSION IS THE SOMEWHAT FLICKERING ACTIVITY ON THE MONITOR DURING BOOT. ANY THOUHGTS ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:54 PM

Do you have any hardware monitoring software on the machine? Check the component temperatures and see if they are reaching critical limits. You can use Everest Free edition.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

Are the fans thermally pasted to the processor in any way? The lack of a paste or thermally conductive material between the processor and the fan's heatsink could seriously inhibit the cooling properties of the fan. If you scraped some 'gunk' off of the proc when you put in the new fan, you should probably get some new thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or AS ceramique
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:54 PM

Does it remain on longer if you have a house fan blowing into the case? If so, then it's likely a heat issue. If not, then I'd suggest looking elsewhere for the problem (such as failing hardware or software/driver/OS corruption).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users