Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image issues in Internet explorer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

Hi. I'm having an issue that maybe someone can assist me with. I've posted this on to other forums. One closed my thread, the other i still haven't gotten an answer after two weeks of posting. My issue is this, and it sounds so simple that i may be missing what's right in front of me. One ofthe people i do work for is having trouble with images loading in IE6, she has sp2 on the system, and i've walked her through the relevant settings in that. But some images will load, while others will not, she's getting the default "no image loaded" spot on her screen. Refreshing it loads some images, but others do not load or disappear if they had previously loaded. I checked the file associations, those are ok, I also checked the "show images" box, so that's not the issue either. Anything i may be missing?
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:13 PM

You might want to check to see if there is a program like Norton Internet Security that is blocking these images automatically. Sometimes they can strip pictures that have a certain file name (like "ad",for ad-blocking).

If she doesn't have any other program like that, try to disable the Windows Firewall to see if that is the program that is blocking images.
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

This might seem obvious but did you clean out the Temporarary Internet files?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:54 PM

Oh ja, i attempted that one as well, forgot to add that one didn't i. I think I told her to uninstall her Norton client, she probably didn't. i'll have to check woth her on that one.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:53 PM

:thumbsup: I got it! I dunno how. I removed her norton Firewall AND, just in case, cleared out her cache again. One of them seemed to do the trick. Thanks fer your input!
Posted Image

#6 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:55 PM

No problem, glad we could help!
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#7 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:58 PM

Heres hoping that there is another firewall in place.
Posted Image

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:54 PM

and heres adding yet another Norton Security incident.
Thanks for the input, efizzer.
BTW, Sygate free seems to work on my winXP SP2 better than others.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#9 col_forbin

col_forbin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:29 AM

Having a problem much like the one listed above. Although some websites don't load at all. I have done most of the steps listed above. It seemed to just start happening one day.....really weird. If I remove Norton do I not reinstall it?? Thanks in advance!!

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:43 AM

The solution to to efizzer's problem is up in the air as to whether it was Norton or the cache.

By all means uninstall Norton and do yourself a favour and get something else. But the first thing I would do is run a cache and temp file cleaner like http://www.ccleaner.com/.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 col_forbin

col_forbin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:27 AM

Can someone explain to me in "simple" terms exactly what Norton is doing?? Why all of a sudden I would start to get this problem when Norton has been installed for over 5 months with no hiccups yet?? Could you suggest an alternate product to use.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:34 AM

It may not be Norton. Its more likely your Temp files.

#13 col_forbin

col_forbin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:39 AM

Gotcha. Although I have already cleaned the temp files in IE once. I will try to clean it at lunch and let you know the result. Thanks again.

#14 efizzer

efizzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:43 PM

From my experience, and no offense to the Norton boys, Norton hinders as much as it helps. I'm actually using Microsoft's newest aquisition from Giant Software as a test on our network and it's been working well as a secondary firewall to the Microsoft SP2 bleep, i never thought i'd say those words either. My Boss who is a Spyware magnet has had NO major spyware issues since i installed it. And it does a good job at keeping watch for almost anything. As an added bonus, i want to let the admins know that y'all have a member for life! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users