Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Addendum To Running Slowly Suspicious "system Volume Information" Files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 SteveH59718

SteveH59718

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

Don't seem to have much luck posting... have done everything else, long description etc. but just getting the log to post seems the final snag.

Perhaps my detail posting failed to post when the note popped up I was using an old or a TrendMicro version of Hijackthis.

Steve

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SteveH59718

SteveH59718
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

Looks like this posting worked, along with uploading a new Hijackthis log. All that is missing is the long description that I typed so I'll try again here.

About two months ago I suspected my computer was running slowly and was infected with malware. A file appeared on my external hard drive where I back up data. The file had a name like "System Volume Information". I ran anti virus scans and one indicated a couple files were suspicous but no fix was available. I used RUN to look at the start up files etc. I recall finding a volume information file that had not much more than links to a couple JPG files on my hard drive which looked very suspiciouls to me.

Then I was in a rush with my job before leaving on vacation. Now that I'm back I've got time to read bleeping computer instructions and post this log.

I'm running Windows XP that is updated. I've had TrendMicro running continuously for a couple years. I downloaded the trial version of AVG and ran that several times.

My maximum speed after returning from vacation is now down to 24k. It used to always run at 56k. 56k is ok for my e-mail etc but not 24k !

Possible confounding factors
- old unused Norton and Panda files are evidently in my computer, maybe interfering with readings from TrendMicro or AVG
- my internet provider got bought out by another company a few months earlier but the new company seems good and they assure me it is not a problem on their end
- the phone company might be the culprit though they say they are not. There is a lot of new construction between my house and town. As a test I plugged my new laptop into the phone jack and this fast clean new computer also connects at only 24k (Hopefully wireless service will now extend out as far as my house and I can get rid of the land line.)

Maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe there are no viruses and it's just the phone line. However, I cringe at the thought of malware using my computer to spread stuff over the internet.

Thanks for taking time to give advice.

Steve

#3 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

Hi and welcome to BC.

Sorry for the delay in response. Nothing strikes me as malware in your log. However, if you've not received help elsewhere and still need help, please post a fresh HijackThis log and I'll be happy to take a look at it.

#4 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Due to lack of response, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please PM me with the address of the thread.and we will reopen it for you. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users