Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions On Hardware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 juicyplasma

juicyplasma

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:12 AM

Hey guys,

As you have read, I am building a computer for the first time. However, my knowledge of some components is rather lacking - I'm pretty much learning as I go.

The specs that I've so far figured out are thus:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6420
Video: 2x either Radeon HD2900 or 2x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS (Haven't decided yet as I'm tossing up between the onboard 5.1 sound of ATI and the extra processing power of NVIDIA)

That's all I've figured out so far. Can anyone suggest a mobo with Dual PCIE and at least 4 DIMM slots?

Another issue I'm having is trying to figure out what wattage of PSU I need so any advice there would be most appreciated :thumbsup:

Cheers for now,
JP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:58 AM

Well, for two graphics cards you'll need a lot of power, especially those HD2900XT. I remember reading they eat up about 200watts each! I think it might just be better instead of getting two graphics cards, to get an 8800GTX or Ultra. I say this because I've heard of a few problems with SLI/Crossfire. some games don't work right, or there's other problems.

Also, about the power I'd say something pretty high wattage if your getting two graphics cards. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this then me can help you. Also, I think you'll need two 12v rails for two graphics cards.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:08 AM

Unless you feel like burning money (no problem with that) I really wouldn't get 8800's in sli. That's just more than anyone needs in my opinion.

Some nice looking motherboards:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813130081
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128042

What you have to choose from:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....ue=3880%3A27176

Posted Image

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:42 PM

I really think if you have the money to buy two 8800GTS, you should invest in a better proc like an E6600 Conroe since it's only $40 more for an extreme boost in overall performance.

PSU reccommendation http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153036

Edited by Ryan 3000, 10 June 2007 - 02:44 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 juicyplasma

juicyplasma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

I really think if you have the money to buy two 8800GTS, you should invest in a better proc like an E6600 Conroe since it's only $40 more for an extreme boost in overall performance.

PSU reccommendation http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817153036

Yeah I suppose you're right. I was either going to go with the E6420 or the E6600 anyways - it just depended on the availability/deal I could find.

Awesome PSU as well, thanks for the recommend.

It seems like not many people here like SLI/Crossfire configurations... from the reception I've gotten thus far I feel like I've said something almost blasphemous :thumbsup:

As for the reason for those two video cards. I needed DX10 support which limited my choice drastically. Also wanted onboard memory to be 512MB at the very least. I'm prepping for Vista basically, but I won't be actually changing OS until I absolutely need to.

Edited by juicyplasma, 10 June 2007 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:15 AM

For the price of two 8800GTS, you could surely buy about 1 1/2 8800GTX? An 8800GTX has more memory and you won't need SLI and you cut down on heat and power consumption.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users