Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow Booting Win Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bramleyapple

bramleyapple

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:25 AM

Hey guys, First of all I'd like to say this is my first post here and that im gratefull to this site as its helped me lots in the past while googling pc probs.

I have been asked to try to fix a computer that literally can take 40 mins to start up, Here is some things I observed while working on it on friday:

When you start up the computer it takes 10 mins to get to the password screen, during which time the screen goes completly blank for quite a while, when the password is put in the operating loads to some degree, i.e there are no icons or start meny or anything except a blue background, you can ctrl-alt-delete to go to task manager and look at the processes, observing task manager shows some processes open but not much happening nothing is eating memory or cpu and it seems very responsive, it just seems to sit there in this state for 20-30 mins and then suddenly the rest of the processes load along with everything else. I have tried using bootvis but it just crashed during the bootup.

Using msconfig on basic startup, i.e nothing except vital OS processes and basic drivers does not affect this problem but it boots extremly fast in safe mode so it doesent have gthis problem in safe mode. Im kinda stumped on this to be honest as i thought doing a basic statup ini msconfig was akin to basically being in safe mode but yet the problem remains and doesent in safe mode.

I'm sorry i cant provide a hijackthis log file or anything as its at a workplace and well its the weekend :thumbsup: I want to try get it sorted on Monday.

Thanks for all help given

William

Edited by bramleyapple, 10 June 2007 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:21 AM

Have you read this?

#3 bramleyapple

bramleyapple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:24 AM

there is no malware on the pc, and ive checked the startup list obviously

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:59 AM

Have you tried using BootVis?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 bramleyapple

bramleyapple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 05:42 AM

Yep I have mate, as I said in my post I tried bootvis and it crashed, it actually popped up with a crash message during the stage of waiting for something to happen with nothing but a blue wallpaper so for whatever reason it doesent function properly probably due to the problem causing all this

Edited by bramleyapple, 10 June 2007 - 05:44 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:44 AM

Since it works well in Safe Mode, but not in normal mode - it's likely that it's something that's being loaded in normal mode.

To further narrow it down, I'd suggest enabling boot logging (it's on the same screen as Safe Mode), then boot to regular mode one time and safe mode one time. Then make a copy of the boot log file (so subsequent boots won't complicate things).

Then, copy and paste the bootlog file into an Excel spreadsheet (OpenOffice will work also). Cut the Safe Mode entries out and paste them next to the normal mode entries. This way you can compare the two side-by-side. Find out what loads in Normal Mode that doesn't load in Safe Mode and let us know.

I suspect it's a corrupted driver that's doing this, but without further info we can't tell what it is.

Also, check your Event Viewer for error messages that may give us clues as to what's going on (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 bramleyapple

bramleyapple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:55 AM

thats very good advice, thanks alot mate, I will do the boot logging, I'm guessing the boot log is saved as a .txt file in the root of the operating system drive. I have checked the event log, nothing suspicous was there but I'll give it another look to be on the safe side.

William

Edited by bramleyapple, 10 June 2007 - 07:56 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:32 AM

Can't remember off-hand where it's saved - it's either in the root (C:\) or in the Windows directory - and it's either a .log or a .txt file. A search for files created within the last day will show it to you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users