Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Activity On Powerup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 limmerman

limmerman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:32 AM

Hello. I need help please. My computer has lately been freezing up on me. The screen was freezing and ctrl alt delet did not work. had to push restart button. Now when i go to turn on my computer the power light comes on and the hard drive spins but on my screen nothing comes up. Its a custom built computer intel duo chip with 2 gig ram and 2 x nvidea geforce 9800 gt's in sli format. at first i thought it was overheating as it would work for a while before freezing up now i am wondering if it is somthing else. Any help please.

Limmerman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:55 AM

When does it freeze?
Is crtl+alt+del (Task Manager) disabled permanently? or temporarily disabled at the time of freezing?

but on my screen nothing comes up

So you mean its plain black?

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#3 IndigoRed

IndigoRed

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 01:12 AM

Hi limmerman.

How old is the pc? Fairly new by the sounds of it. What is the power supply rated? (wattage?) That would be my 1st suspect. Overheating as well. Where is the box physically located? You may have enough fans, but if the box can't get airflow, it"ll overheat. And are the fans set for airflow? If the fans are all pointed in or out, there is zero flow. Check the PS and mobo for bulging caps (unplug the pc 1st!)

Good Luck and let us know what you find. :thumbsup:
On a Scale of One to Ten, I Eat Lunch

Be Afraid. Be Very, Very Afraid. I could have been you!

I'm learning to help at MRU

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:05 AM

Do you get "nothing" on the screen - or does the BIOS POST stuff show up? If you get some display, then I'd suggest some testing with a bootable CD/DVD. If you get absolutely nothing, then it's likely to be a video problem (check the connections and see if you can borrow a video card to try in it's place).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 limmerman

limmerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:29 AM

When does it freeze?
Is crtl+alt+del (Task Manager) disabled permanently? or temporarily disabled at the time of freezing?

but on my screen nothing comes up

So you mean its plain black?

When the problem started and it started freezing It could happen anytime. from 1 min in to 2hrs or more. When it froze nothing worked ctrl + alt + delete did not work if a timer was on the screen it froze all stop like sombody pushed a pause button. now when i power up i get nothing. plain black screen. What i used to get was the aseus screen which i think is my motherboard name. To usasma iyes i get "nothing" on the screen. No bios stuff or anything. When i turn it on the front "temp gauge" lights up and shows temp usally runs between 77-85 and it beeps 5 times. thats all. I will try another video card if i can find one to try. am hoping it will be an easy fix. Thank you for all your responses and any more responses with ideas will be helpful.

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:43 AM

When the problem started and it started freezing It could happen anytime. from 1 min in to 2hrs or more.

I also had that experience and problem just recently and mines could even hang like 30mins or 5 mins but now,i did a fresh reformatt and the problem vanished
But if you insert a disk into your drive,does it hang? as it did to me

Edited by Commander Gman, 12 June 2007 - 12:43 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

"When i turn it on the front "temp gauge" lights up and shows temp usally runs between 77-85 and it beeps 5 times. thats all."

5 beeps = not good. Dbbl check and make sure
Bios beep codes
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 12 June 2007 - 05:42 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 limmerman

limmerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

"When i turn it on the front "temp gauge" lights up and shows temp usally runs between 77-85 and it beeps 5 times. thats all."

5 beeps = not good. Dbbl check and make sure
Bios beep codes
Mark

Ok yes it is 5 beeps problem is im not sure which bios my computer uses if it is the Phoenix BIOS It beeps twice fast then 3 single beeps. Question is how do i know which bios my computer uses and if it is the phoenix BIOS and means my memory is bad can i fix the problem by removing the ram sticks and trying them one at a time (my comp uses 4 x 512Megs) ? I cant use BIOS agent or any other program as my computer will not boot up.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:29 AM

What is the make and model number of the motherboard?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:39 AM

Let us know the make and model of your PC (or the motherboard if it's custom built).

Has anything happened to the PC recently? Being moved/bumped, power surges or outages, kids with peanut butter sandwiches?

Have you checked the cabling between the monitor and the PC (including the connectors) to ensure that there's nothing wrong there? Have you tried another monitor to ensure that it's not the monitor that's gone bad (unlikely, but possible)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 limmerman

limmerman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:22 AM

It is not the monitor.The make of the motherboard is asus. not sure about the model. I am responding to the posts when i am at work.Will check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users