Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin Usb Transfer Cable Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 What the?

What the?

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:13 AM

I bought a "Belkin USB 2.0 File Transfer Cable" about 6 months ago and i have used it maybe 10 times since then and just recently i tried to use it but my computer did not recognise it and it came up saying
"USB Device Not Recognised
One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it."

It then says to click this message, so i do and it comes up recommending i reconnect the device. and if this doesn't work then to replace the device.

I have tried the cable on 3 different computers in all their USB ports with both ends of the cable with both XP and Vista OS's. The same message comes up every time. I've used the cable before on these same computers a few times.

Are there any drivers or other software that i need to make it work or fix the cable, or am i completely stuffed?
I am not really prepared to buy another cable as they are not cheap and i would really like for something to make it work

Hopefully someone knows something i don't

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:54 AM

If you've tried the cable on 3 different computers, and it doesn't work on any of them, I would say the cable is bad.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

I'm not too clear on conductivity, but if it was gold-plated, could the gold have scraped off? When you buy a new one, get an inexpensive silver-colored one, I never noticed a gold performance increase.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 What the?

What the?
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone have anymore ideas??

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

the cable needs to be replaced. If you still have the receipt, contact Belkin.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users