Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb External Hard Drive & Windows Xp Sp2

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 StrikeG

StrikeG

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

Windows XP Sp2 on Compaq Presario with 2.67GHz CPU, 1GB RAM. Purchased new WD My Book Essentials 500GB External USB HD. Installed per instructions. Reformatted from FAT32 to NTSF per instructions with Windows Drive Manager. Shut down all, rebooted. Drive Manager, Device Manager, TuneUp Utilities, and Diskeeper all see the "H" Drive just fine and indentify it correctly. BUT, My Computer and Windows Explorer do not see it at all!

Changed drive letter fron H to W - made no difference. Emailed WD but have had no response. If I figure my time at minimum wage, I've spent more trying to make the @#%#@$ work than I paid for it! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:54 AM

You may have already tried this, but in Device Manager, uninstall the drive, reboot and let Windows XP find the drive and then it should reinstall. That's all I can think of, there are people here a lot smarter than me and hopefully one will show up with a cure if this does not work.. :thumbsup:

Edit, ooops, failed to notice the USB part of the drive. But you can try to boot with the drive hooked up and see what happens...
This happened to me once and I went into Admin tools, but I don't remember what I did. Sorry. :flowers:

Edited by Wildabeast, 09 June 2007 - 01:56 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 08:37 AM

Why did you format the drive to NTFS? I don't recall this being recommended with my 500 gB MyBook Essential.

My first one did fail on me tho' - and WD replaced it free (even shipped the new one so I could transfer my data and then let me return the failed one).

That having been said, since the drive is recognized in the various utilities, I doubt that it's a problem with the drive.
Have you looked at the drive in the Disk Management applet (Start...Run...type in "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:13 PM

Is this not as simple as just plugging in the drive, clicking the little bubble that says "USB Mass Storage Device"?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 StrikeG

StrikeG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

Wildabeast: Thank you for your response. I have tried all of those things - no luck.

usasma: Drive arrived formatted FAT32 to be compitable to Windows 98 & ME buyers. To take advantage of the many advantages of NFTS, ie: partitions larger than 32GB, files larger than 4GB, a reformat is necessary. This is advised in the very fine print in about the middle of page 2 of the "Quick Install Guide.

I can, in fact, see the drive on the Disk Management window: USB My Book (W:) 465.78 GB NTFS Healthy. I can also run DOS commands from the Command prompt window and access the drive very nicely. You are right, the drive is fine, Windows is not.

Ryan 3000: I wish it were so, that was the reason I bought this drive in the first place.

#6 StrikeG

StrikeG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

I am moving this topic from hardware to it's more appropriate place. This seems to be a Windows issue, not hardware:

Original: Windows XP SP2 on Compaq Presario with 2.67GHz CPU, 1GB RAM. Purchased new WD My Book Essentials 500GB External USB HD. Installed per instructions. Reformatted from FAT32 to NTSF per instructions with Windows Drive Manager. Shut down all, rebooted. Drive Manager, Device Manager, TuneUp Utilities, and Diskeeper all see the "H" Drive just fine and indentify it correctly. BUT, My Computer and Windows Explorer do not see it at all!

Changed drive letter fron H to W - made no difference. Emailed WD but have had no response. If I figure my time at minimum wage, I've spent more trying to make the @#%#@$ work than I paid for it! [b]Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thnx.

Added: Drive arrived formatted FAT32 to be compitable to Windows 98 & ME buyers. To take advantage of the many advantages of NFTS, ie: partitions larger than 32GB, files larger than 4GB, a reformat is necessary. This is advised in the very fine print in about the middle of page 2 of the "Quick Install Guide."

I can see the drive on the Disk Management window: USB My Book (W:) 465.78 GB NTFS Healthy. I can also run DOS commands from the Command prompt window and access the drive very nicely, copy, move files, make, remove directories, etc.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:29 PM

Just curious -

how did you patition and re-format the drive to NTFS?

If you didn't do it through the Disk Management window, would you try that and let us know if it makes any difference?

If you did it through Disk Management, did WD provide another method you could try?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:34 PM

I'm thinking I didn't say that right -

what I'm suggesting is that you delete the partition entirely,

then create the partition again and then format to NTFS.

Using a different proceedure than you did the first time would be helpful if you can.

There, that's more like what I think I meant!

(see signature)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

StrikeG,

Since you prefer this topic in the XP forum, I have merged your original thread here as well. Cross posting causes confusion, and hard to follow advice. In the future it would be appreciated if you would PM a staff member to have your posts moved if you feel they are in the wrong forum. Thank You for your understanding in this matter.

Regards,
Animal, Forum Moderator

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:54 AM

Try this:

1. Click Start on the taskbar, then right-click My Computer on the desktop or from the Start menu, and then click Manage.
2. Under Computer Management, click Disk Management.
3. In the list of drives in the right pane, right-click the Removable Device and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Click Change, and in the drop-down box, specify a drive letter for the Removable Device, choosing one that is not assigned to a mapped network drive.
5. Click OK, and then click OK again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 StrikeG

StrikeG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 03:50 PM

Thanks to all who have responded. I partitioned & fromatted with Disk Manager, WD offered no alternative. I have changed the drive letter - no help - I have no mapped drives. I have removed partition, shut down, rebooted, reinstalled - no help. Still searching.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 04:06 PM

Durn! I never saw that! (I don't need no stinkin' directions! :thumbsup: Mine is still FAT32!

Try another USB cable, and try other USB ports on your system. Try other USB devices to ensure that they work in the ports that you're using.

After that, it's gonna be trying to fix Windows, but that won't work if this is an issue with the drive. I'd suggest RMA'ing the drive with WD (if the USB swapping above doesn't identify a problem) to see if another works better.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 StrikeG

StrikeG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

I'm sorry I took so long to respond. USB ports and cables are good - the HD is good - Windows the the problem. I have found NO help from Microsoft or Western Digital, or anywhere else.

It took WD 13 days to respond at all and that was to ask me if I had found a solution to the proble or did I still need their help! Microsoft, of course, has not bothered to respond at all.

I used DOS commands to successfully move files to and from the USB drive. VLC can play avi files stored there, MS Media Player can play mp3s stored there and all MS Office programs can access and save files there. I cannot "browse" to the files there but I can type in the path and everything works just fine.

I've put it off for years but maybe it's finally time to move to Linux.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

I'm just offering a SWAG here (Scientific Wild A**ed Guess) - but I suspect it's some Compaq software that may be causing this. Try booting into Safe Mode and seeing if the problem is also there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users