Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Live Protect Icon In System Tray And Internet Explorer Error Report

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mcgrawhill

mcgrawhill

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

Hello to whomever responds to this thread. This is the first time I've used one of these help forums and my knowledge of computer lingo is limited, but I'd be greatful if you could help me with this problem.

A little while ago I downloaded an application which turned out to be a 'trojan', or so I believe. Upon opening it I received an error report, and my antivirus program (Symantec) informed me that several items with .trojan in their name had been detected and deleted. I was also advised to reboot my computer, and after doing so I became aware of a little red shield icon in my system tray. Clicking it brings up a question which reads:

"Would you like to update your security software and download System Live Protect?"

I have not clicked yes because I believe this may be a problem. Furthermore, whenever I open Internet Explorer, there is an error report: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I am unsure as to whether these two problems are related, but that is my suspicion. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for reading

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 06:22 PM

I just looked around on the web and there are a lot of folks with this problem but no answer.

Use the programs below and let's see what they find. It is definitely something you don't want.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

Looks to be a new rogue application and appears to be related to this file:
C:\Program Files\LiveProtect\LiveProtect.exe <- this file

Not much info that I can find.

Search your computer and if you have that file, go to jotti's virusscan.
In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of that file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis - (15MB limit per file).
Post back with the results of the file analysis.

Is there an entry in Add/Remove Programs? If so, try to uninstall from there.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mcgrawhill

mcgrawhill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 02:46 AM

Buddy215:

Thanks for responding. After using the Super Antispyware program, there is no longer any problem with using internet explorer. All that remains is the red icon in the notification area.

As well, I've posted the log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/95499/system-live-protect-icon-in-notification-area/

Quietman7:

Thanks for responding. I haven't been able to find a file with the name "liveprotect", and it doesn't appear in "Add/Remove Programs".

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:12 AM

If you are still infected, let me know, as I would like some samples of files on your machine related to this infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users