Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re: Best Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi

I recently found a topic posted in this section for cleaning up your desktop and setting up hidden 'sidebars' at the edges of the screen in Windows XP to house the shortcuts kept on the desktop (found here).

This is a great tip that I used and would recommend to everybody, however I am having 1 problem with it. I often like to use keyboard shortcuts such as the Windows+D shortcut and quick launch icon 'Desktop' to minimise all active windows and take you back to the desktop. However when I do this, the toolbars disappear and only return after another window is opened - but this is missing the point of the action.

I have selected the 'Always on top' option for the toolbar but this does not stop the problem from happening. Can anyone suggest a solution.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

Try unchecking the auto-hide feature.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

No that doesn't help because all that does is permanently install the toolbar to the side of my screen. I do WANT it to disappear when not in use but still be available. Its just that when I use Windows+D shortcut or the 'Show Desktop' Quick Launch icon, then I can no longer access them as they disappear completely.

Also as a side note my right-hand sidebar (when hidden) is more visible than the left-hand sidebar i.e. twice the thickness in view - and this is not related to my pc screen setup as I have tried that already.

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hi,
I thought this was a great tip too and as soon as I read it I set up 2 new taskbars. I now have 3 (top, left, bottom). The top one has my programs, the bottom has links to utilities (AV, spyware progs, control panel, my computer, etc) and the left one has the start button and running applications and the tray (where the little icons are).

I have auto hide turned on and the taskbar locked and "keep the tasbar on top of other windows" ticked. The taskbars pop up when I put the cursor near the edge of the screen.
(These screenshots show 2 taskbars on each, I can't get all 3 to show at the same time.)
Posted Image

Posted Image

As far as the size of the bar goes, right click on the main taskbar and click on "lock the taskbar" to remove the tick then grab the edge and drag it to whatever size you need. Go back and lock it again.

I don't know much about hotkeys but you might have to reassign a different key.
I do know that you have to have the folders you made to have the extra toolbars on the desktop all the time or it won't work. Mine are hidden under the "To Do" widget in the corner along with the recycle bin.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users